water vs ice

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef_guru, Dec 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

which is more of a solid water or ice?

1. water

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. ice

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm with my man Woods! Ice more solid- Water more dense.. As for the glass question. Glass is actually a slow moving solid which may make it somewhere between a solid and a liquid. If I remember correctly from my classroom days this was still being debated by the guys with the pencil pouches.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh come on guys! We're all forgetting about the FOURTH state of matter! Plasma! It's what powers my laser gun back home...and my jetpack...and my protein skimmer...:D

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Don't forget TVs!!!!!!;D

5. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

When we talk about solids and liquids we don't generally talk about the chemical nature of things.

If it feels solid to the touch or by observation we call it a solid, if it feels like a liquid or plasma, then thats what we call it.

The answer to the question is Ice. Solids are characterized by resistance to deformation, not how close the molecules are to each other.

Density was not mentioned in the original question.

Most people voted water LMAO

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

what the heck does this have to do with reef tanks?

anyways, i voted ice..come on guys

7. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Well let me chime in, to correctly answer this question we must know the temperature of the "water". From what is given one can say that ICE is a solid since we know that it has to me below 0°C to be ice. But he said water and do not know the temperature of this water. So it the temperature of the water is below 0°C then they are both solids. If the water is anywere between 0°C and 100°C then the water is a liquid (will take the shape of any container it is put in). And finally if water is above 100°C then it will most likely be in the gas phase there for not a solid.

So I would say until we know the temperature of the water we can not know the state of it. More over we can go into more detail and argue under what pressure the water is, because eventhough the water lets say is below 0°C but under a whole lot of pressure it might not be in its solid(ice) form but might still be a liquid.

But to answer the question which I am assuming was meant as "Which is more of a solid water (Between 0°C and 100°C at 1 atm of pressure) or ice?" - The answer is ice.

8. Click Here!

9. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I don't think you need to know the temperature of water in this case, because when he says water, thats what is understood or assumed, that it is not a gas or a solid. When he said Ice, we assume that it is not liquid or gas.

Unless you are dealing with the Riddler from Batman, it's not that complicated.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I find it funny that reefguru hasn't chimed in since he started this post/poll :)

11. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

he is laughing at us is why

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

He needs to, me thinks. Solid, Liquid, or Gas, it's all water.

It depends on how you interpret the question i guess. Water can be assumed as liquid, or it can be all 3 states. Solid can be assumed to be "density" or "resistance to deformation". Put it all together, and you've got 10,000 different ways this poll can go.

This is why I like Math over History in school. Math is absolute. There's either a right answer, or a wrong answer, you don't have to worry about debating whether it's right or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.