Urgent Water under tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jmann124, Jul 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

EMERGENCY

I just noticed what looked like water under the DT. Upon further investigation I found out it IS water. It's not running out and down the stand, but it's there. I looked at the return pump and plumbing and found that I have a leak around 2 of my 3 drain bulkheads. No leaks around my 2 return bulkheads. The leak around the bulkheads is fairly slow. A drip once a minute and some water runs down the back glass. There was a small pool of water, about 1.5"x6or8". My question is: Is that enough of a leak to run under the tank and me see it under the front?

The picture is the front of the tank and stand. The pointers are pointing to the water under the tank. I did leak test the DT several times before I brought it in the house. What can I do? Should I seal the bulkhead leaks and see if the water dries up or what? I need to know something quick. Thanks in advance. I posted this in my build thread also.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Of course seal the leaks!! Then use some paper toweling and slid it under the tank and stand. It will self absorb whatever waters near it.

4. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Is the leaks I mentioned enough to cause the water under the tank? I ask because I'm freaking out thinking that I'm either going to have to drain the tank that filled just a week ago or that I'm going to have a tank shatter on me. Please tell me I'm overreacting. Also I'm not sure I can lift that tank to get paper towels under it.

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You don't have to lift the tank to get the paper towel under there. Just slip a corner in. It will attract the water to it. I would seal the bulk heads first and see it the condition stops.

Is the outside of your tank dry? Have you check all seams? Look and see where the water is running to from the bulk heads. Can you follow the waters path?

1 person likes this.
  6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

if the bulkheads are leaking at the seal..yes...it could be under the tank...hard to tell what ya got going on..but if ya just filled it..drain it..take it down and do it right..imo....you will sleep better in the long run....I just think you are lucky to see this now...tank test means nothing until you have it under pressure...this is what you have now. So...drain... repair...and start over. No biggie....considering the alternative of discovering this when you were 6 months or a year into it...again, jmo. :) good luck buddy ! : )

7. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

It runs from the bottom of the bulkheads down the back of the tank to the top of that stand that sticks out from the tank a couple inches. I haven't seen any water leaking out of the outside seams but the bottom seams are covered in black plastic that I guess is for glass protection.

8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

The bulkheads are leaking at the back under the plastic nut. The leak test I did was fill it completely and let it sit for a few days. I did that everytime i did something new to it like drilling and such. It's been filled for about a week or a little more with sand and rocks in it.

10. lillys Grandad

oh...so its leaking at the top? no worries, as I thought it was bottom and seeping...not dripping down... easy fix...carry on. : )

1 person likes this.
  11. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

So I siphoned the water below the bulkheads and put new paper towels under the edges of the tank last night. This morning the paper towels were barely wet and the water was not pooled at all at the back of the tank. So, tonight i will be resealing the bulkheads with silicone and after 24 hours of drying, will retest. Cross your fingers.

1 person likes this.
  12. lillys Grandad

You got it..little bit'o anxiety there though...huh. ; ) lol