water testing?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Blazinfire, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

what is the best kit to buy for water testing for ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and whatever else.

unless 5 red minor tetra's can posion a tank within a few hours with high lvl's of ammonia. my test strips are wrong.

2. Click Here!

3. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

my current ammonia test kit is the jungle quick dip test. i might not be reading it right. i'm not sure lol

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I don't know a whole lot about the quality of things for the freshwater hobby. Hopefully someone with freshwater knowledge will help you soon.

If the fish don't look stressed, there might not be an issue other than a bad test kit.

5. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

get some salifert kits. the thing with ammonia the higher the ph the more toxic it is to fish etc.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yeah, your test strips are wrong. Go ahead and throw 'em out. ;)

You want a test that uses drops.

Something like this http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_Freshwater_Saltwater_Ammonia_Test_Kit__Test_kit_of_130_tests_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Test_Kits_Ammonia~vendor~Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~AP3131~idCategory~FITKAM~tab~0.html

You'll want something like that for each test.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

This is true... but also as ammonia increases ph decreases naturally. So be careful if you raise the ph without first removing the ammonia (via cycling).

But your ammonia is probably not as high as you think. I don't trust those strips at all.

8. Click Here!

9. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

thats what i was actually thinking. i didn't think i could trust the strips. because i have another set of test strips for nitrites, nitrates, ph all in one. and also i have a ph test kit that uses drops. and i've found the drop ph test kit to be more accurate. i was actually going to purchase the master kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals off petco only 21 bucks.

its all drops btw. thanx alot that really eases my mind for the choice of using the tetra's for the cycling process scared me for a min lol.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Does API sell a master kit for freshwater? Don't remember if everything in there is the same on both or not...

Oh, specify in your threads that you are discussing FW - lots of folks will assume SW and answer accordingly ;)

11. Blazinfire

Blazinfire Astrea Snail

and yes they have a master kit that does freshwater/saltwater. they all have test card's for both. (the color coded cards to measure the correct measurements)

and yes i'm sorry i have been doing that alot forgetting to specify that i'm discussing freshwater. i need to be sure i do that for now on :) but one of these days i will defidently be talking about salt water. but i have alot of learning experience to do and time before i even think about it.

note: but man that would be so awesome to be able to watch a salt water tank every day :) i've seen lots of pics on here of all different kinds of tanks. everyone is just amazing.

sry for off topic note but i couldn't stop my self i just had to say it :)