water supplements

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by hottielover14, Feb 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

;D :D ;) :) 8)

I have a question what kind of supplements do u guys add to your aquarium. How do u keep them stable like the calcium.

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Be CAREFUL when supplementing or dosing. Don't dose because the lfs or online says so. Tets first and dose second too much of a good thing is bad also. If you ask everyone you talk to you will get different answers because everyone's tank is different. More critters, more lr/ls, better filteration, different water, different chemicals and most important operator procedure will affect your dosing schedule. The best advice is test and watch and use the procedure that works best for your tank.

4. hottielover14

how do u keep the calcium level up in your tank.

5. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I dose with Seachem products. I used to also dose Kalk But backed off in the last two weeks.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This is where I will fight to the grave.
    IMO....  Companies like seachem and Kent but mostly seachem. They make several products and they get consumers to try and use all the other products they make. Read the back of the bottle. Also the little bottle of supplements don't last so you have keep shelling $ out. And it is like you have to be a chemist when measuring this and that and IMO this is where most people go wrong and add to much or too little of one thing and throws the Ionic balance out of whack.
    I like things simple, everything I need is in a 2 part Cal & Alk supplement call CalxMax or B-Ionic. I use this every other day to keep my water in the target range that (Randy Holmes Farley) suggests. And as Randy suggests to use Kent Powder Turbo calcium to bring up the cal when needed and then use the 2 part CalxMax or B-Ionic to keep it there.

So I use Kent Powder Turbo Calcium.
    Warner Marine 2 part Cal-Alk supplement.
    Once in awhile I use strontium and thats all.
    10 gallon Water change every 2 weeks or so.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

how often do u does with b-ionic. does it keep your calcium at 450.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I believe you use B-Ionic every day. I use CalxMax every other day.

First you test and if low in calcium use turbo powder calcium by Kent to raise it up.. I know there is a calculator around here somewhere for the proper daily dose.
    Once you have cal Alk and pH corrected the use the 2 part cal alk products. the will balance your Ions in your tank.

11. hottielover14

instead of turbo powder calcium can I use Kent liquid calcium. How do u get the alk and ph corrected.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Water;num=1076974533;start=0#8 date=02/17/04 at 18:20:58]instead of turbo powder calcium can I use Kent liquid calcium. How do u get the alk and ph corrected.[/quote]

Here please read this link below.
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

I would recommend the powder as it lasts alot longer than any liquid. If you you the calculator for uping your calcium I believe it has to be the powder and can't remember for sure.

Here is the link to the calculator..
    http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

[move] [smiley=fish.gif]  [smiley=fish.gif][smiley=fish.gif]  [smiley=fish.gif][smiley=fish.gif]  [smiley=fish.gif][smiley=fish.gif]  [smiley=fish.gif][smiley=fish.gif]  [smiley=fish.gif][smiley=fish.gif]  [smiley=fish.gif][smiley=fish.gif]  [smiley=fish.gif][/move]