water softener vs reverse osmosis system.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by saltscrub, Jun 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

I was wondering if a water softener removed the harmful metals that the RO system removes. I know that th water softener doesn't purify it. Also, if I buy RO water then do I nend to condition it? I don't think I do because ro is suppose to be the purest you can get.
    thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The short answer is no.

Water softeners/conditioners only buffer the water. IOW, just more unwanted chemicals for your aquarium, IMHO. Even the best of the best for SW aquariums only detoxify heavy metals rather than removing them.

RO alone does not purify water. Only RO/DI together can do that. Second best is distilled.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Nothing replaces RO/DI water IMO :)

5. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Typical water softener removes calcium and magnesium from the water - nothing else and will replace it with sodium (cheaper softeners that you add salt to) or hydrogen ions. They do not buffer the water or remove heavy metals.

A good RO unit will remove 99% of all ions in the water - including heavy metals.

In order of purity distilled it best, next to DI then RO.

scajeo likes this.
  6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

A softener works by ion exchange and replaces calcium, magnesium and small amounts of iron and other things with sodium or potassium depending on the unit.
    It most cases the TDS or dissolved solids will be higher in the softened water than in the tap water since the exchange is not a 1:1 ratio.

Good RO/DI is your best bet and the most pure, good distilled will be second because it may possibly contain volatiles or contaminants that travel with the steam then is condensed back into the treated water. RO by itself is around 90 to 98% efficient depending on the contaminant.

Softening and Reverse Osmosis are two completely different things and are not related so cannot be compares, like apples and oranges. I will tell you ALL RO membrane manufacturers recommend using softened water to feed your RO or RO/DI system though as it acts like pretreatment for the membrane which is better at removings salts than calcium.

scajeo and SkyFire like this.
  7. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Unrelated question: what does IOW mean? Just trying to keep up with the lingo ;)

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

In Other Words :)

10. valerie1

valerie1 Plankton

Hey People :)

Hope everyone is doing good.I am having issue with my water softener,this water softener was installed by the people who use to live here before us.I want a good water softener .Being a health conscious person ,I want to purchase a saltless water system as it will not ave salt in it which would be good for us I am thinking of NuvoH2 Manor water softening system as many people are buying this and people have given good reviews on top rated water softeners . It is affordable ,durable and saltless softener.What are your suggestions on this?

Thanks and Regards
    Valerie Sabin

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You might want to do more research first. There is no good third party data to back up their claims and there are a lot of complaints on the system. Seems like it works a little at first then goes downhill from there.
    http://waterwyzard.com/reviews/nuvo-h20-review/

It is also on the Psuedoscience and Quackery site here:
    http://www.chem1.com/CQ/gallery.html

If salt is really a concern try a potassium based system but realize they have drawbacks too. Potassium costs about 4 times as much as softener salt and is about 30% less efficient.

If you are concerned about the very small amount of salt in your treated water, install a RO system for your drinking, cooking and icemaker water.

SkyFire likes this.