Water quality

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by nuge, Mar 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nuge

nuge Plankton

Hey im new at this stuff and ive been having a few issues lately. Just wondering my Amm 0, Nitrite 0, I keep my ph maintained to 8.2-with a buffer. Just wondering about my nitrate, im trying to get it to 0 but the best I seem to be able to do is 10-20 ppm, is this alright? The tank has been set up for approx a year. Im battling ich in a regal tang right now and trying to get the water the best I can, And using polyplab medic which I stopped for a couple of days after losing my powder tang but started using again today to try to cure the regal.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Is your tank a FO, FOWLR or a Reef? NA at 10-20ppm is ok, my tank is a 55g reef and I can't get my NA under about 10ppm but all is well. I just do my normal water changes and watch params. I am slightly overstocked so that is most likely the reason for my NA readings.

What is your tank size, fish load, filtration?

Do you know your extended params: Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Phosphate? If you have a reef tank, those params will greatly play into the overall health of the tank. I have no exp using polyplab medic, I have had a Blue Hippo for 6 months, never had an ich issue luckily. What are you buffering your PH with. IMO a steady PH is the best way to go, even if it's a bit lower/higher than what you want.

4. nuge

nuge Plankton

Mine is FO with a couple anemones , 50 Gallon tank with a basic filtering system, 30-60 aqua-tech and a marine land with a single bio wheel and a couple of pumps for circulation. I do not know what the params are. I am buffering with a reef buffer ( seachem is the brand ). Sorry for not sounding very knowledgeable, I just purchased the tank with most of the fish already in it recently within the last month or so , so I am still learning alot of the basics.Ive had a powder tang and a mandarin goby die in this tank in the last four days ( both fish I introduced to the tank, they both lasted about a week each )