Water proof liner for cabinet

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by beamer, Dec 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Does anyone use anything the line the bottom of their cabinet in case of overflow from the sump? If so what do you use?

I've had several incidences where either my sump has overflowed or I just made a big mess while doing clean up and water changes. I'm fixing to change out my sump and I thought while doing that if anyone had any ideas for water proofing the floor of the cabinet that I would go ahead and do that.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I simply varnish it with a waterproof poly. 2 coats making sure to work it into the cracks.

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Same here. I used a stain with polyurethane in it and then put 2 coats of regular clear polyurethane on top of that.

Jim

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks! On another site someone suggested using a swimming pool liner or shower pan liner. Another person said to go to home depot and get the stuff that they use to line the bed of a truck and paint it on.

I'll probably wind up using the liner since it would probably be quicker and I could fix it so that it doesn't leak out from the cabinet on to the floor.

Thanks again! Cindy

6. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I paint the bottom and sides with waterproof epoxy paint and then urethane over that as an added precaution. Then I silicone all the seams and joints.

7. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Your sump should not be able to overflow sounds like it is too small or has to much water in it

8. Click Here!

9. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Sometimes I just get messey when cleaning out the sump or some something stupid happens like my siphon hose falling out of the bucket and water running all over the bottom of the cabinet. Or recently, someone else was in my tank helping me change out my sandbed and redoing my rock work. I didn't realize that the return spout had been bent down and when I turned my pump off a couple of times the sump overflowed. Not bad but enough to make a mess. When I realized it was over flowing I turned the pump back on. I finally figured out that the return spout had been bent down and was creating a siphon when the power was turned off. I now have a couple of siphon holes drilled in it to help prevent this from happening again plus I pulled the return spout back into the proper position so that it can't siphon.

I'm installing a much larger sump (44 gl) and I figured while I was taking out the old one I might as well put some kind of a protectant in it while I was in there.

Cindy

10. reefrash

reefrash Plankton

If it's only a little water, I use stick on linoleum tiles from your local hardware store. They tend to clean up real good. If your overflowing a great big rubbermaid tub works.