Water params, possible cycle already nearing the end?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by daninfamous, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. daninfamous

daninfamous Flamingo Tongue

I added dead rock from BRS and water on october 1st, (20 days ago) I added a green chromi a few days later, and been feeding him what I would consider fairly heavy. I added a couple blue legged hermits and snails about a week after him.

I do my best to support local business and my LFS was out of test kits until just today, So I did my 1st water test today. heres my results.

Used API liquid test kits, brand new just in.

Temp 78.1
    Salinity 1.024

PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20, maybe a very slight hair lighter than 20 but closer to 20 than anything.

I never had a big algae breakout, I have a very very small (about the size of a half dollar) spot of GHA on my substrate.

I just got my test kit today so I was never able to measure when my ammonia spike happend, but I had a god awful smell 2 days into my tank which according to google usually means high ammonia.

Thoughts? :confused: Input? ;) Congrats? ;D

I also bought a yellow watchmen today, but he's still at the store the LFS owner will keep him as long as I want, he looked healthy and the LFS sold 5 this week so I wanted to make sure he would keep one for me.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That would be a pretty short cycle but it sounds to me like it did indeed cycle. I would give it a couple days now that you have tests just to be sure.

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I think you need to let your chromis eat and poop for another week before you add that watchman.. It takes a while for dead rock to pick up anerobic bacteria to break down stuff.. what other filtration are you runnning..

5. daninfamous

daninfamous Flamingo Tongue

The stock biocube stuff minus the bioballs, and a small (much less than suggested for the volume of water) bag of activated carbon and phosban, once im sure ive gone through a cycle im going to clean all the filtration, add more carbon and phosban and wait a couple days.