Water Parameters

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by MiamiReefTank, Aug 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MiamiReefTank

MiamiReefTank Plankton

Hello all. I am trying to absorb all the information i can before setting up my new reef tank. I have been watching numerous youtube videos and reading all the threads on here everyday. My question is what exactly should i test for in my tank to ensure the best water quality for my fish? I know that i should do a weekly water change, but how much water should i take out? I have a 55 gal long, and i read you should take the water out of the sump and put the new water in their as well... As well what are the best ways of testing my water. Thanks a million 3reef community! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Read this: Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

If you are doing a weekly water change on a 55 gallon. 5 gallons a week will work. that will be 20 gallons a month.

Test kits are something that are not created equally in this hobby. Right now for a beginner I would suggest buying these:
    Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit

Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Ca/Alk/Mg Multi Test Kit

Hanna Instruments Checker Phosphate Colorimeter

these will cover everything you need to test for.

1 person likes this.
  4. MiamiReefTank

MiamiReefTank Plankton

Thanks a million! I greatly appreciate it :)