Water movement without powerheads

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by m_lacom99, Sep 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all...

Heres the thing... i was looking at my tank last night and all i could see was those ^%#@*&# powerheads on each side... >:(

I had read a thread on this site and on a few more about using some sort or micro sprinkler system that had a little perforated hose that you run around the tank to create water movement.

Did anyone try this or is there something else i can use to move water around (nothing big or expensive)???

I liked the sprinkler system idea cause all you see is this little black tube, no big ugly pumps, and you can still have allot of movement cause the water is coming from all over the place, at least thats what I'm hoping for.

Thanks Marc...

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Spraybar....I'll post a picture of mine later tonight. It's great for circulating water behind and through your rockwork. I do still have to run one powerhead though because I keep sps corals and anemones and they require more flow than most inverts.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

What about a wave maker?

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I'm not to familiar with wave makers but 1st aren't they expensive and 2nd don't you still have to have pumps in the fish tank??? enlighten me...

pics would be good amcarrig thanks...

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry about the crummy picture quality but this should give you the basic idea of what a spray bar looks like. This one was built for me by a friend and is for use behind my rock work. I'm sure that a modified version could be built that can sit higher up in the tank.

Attached Files:

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And one with it in the tank

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice one amcarrig.

Marc for smaller pumps, I used to like the Eheim Spraybars. They are green though.

As for wavemakers, I was tempted to mention the Wave2k but it's a toss up as it is a black box in the tank taking real estate. Then again, once algae grows on it it wouldn't be that bad except for the size. Shawn likes his a lot. For what it's worth.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Thanks Matt. I only wish that I could take the credit for building it. What's great about it is that I don't have to worry about dead spots behind the rock anymore. :)

11. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

What about same set us but with SCWD to get some waves.

12. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

you could just buy a natural wave maker for like $30 and plug in powerheads to it.