Resolved water level problem

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by socal86, May 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Cant he use a simple gravity fed or pump powered ATO to control that?

2. Click Here!

3. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

i have a pvc stand pipe that feeds water to the sump with my sedra 7000 pump i get more than 400 gph return rate the returns are hang over the back they are about an inch maybe inch and a half under the surface the sump only fills alittle under half way when power is off but if i add more water to the sump the tank level rises and will overflow. i dont have any baffle in the sump

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

What size is the overflow line and does it inject air so it flow correctly. Your tank level should be goverened by the retrun pump rate and 400 GPH should not be out running the overflow and standpipe if its working correctly.
    I use a singe 1" overflow pipe with a Stockman standpipe and my Ocean Runner 3500 at close to 750 GPH after head loss does not raise the level 1/4" up the overflow weir teeth. Something is not working right. Tell us about your standpipe and how its plumbed including sizes, PVC or vinyl tube and any fittings and valves it may contain. You should not have this problem if the flow is smooth in the overflow.

5. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

well i dont know what parts of the pvc are actually called but for the main pipe i have 1 inch pvc with a adapter at the bottom and a rubber seal to keep water from leaking where the tube collects water from the overflow pipe at the top of the pvc i have holes drilled down about 3 to 4 inches of the top portion to allow water to flow into the sump

6. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

i will try to take pictures of the actual overflow tomorrow im stuck at work all night and i work till around 4 pm tomorrow as well so after that if my camera isnt dead i will take pics

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Do a search on Stockman and Durso standpipes. There are many others too but those are two of the basic,cheap easy to construct models. Maybe $2.00 in PVC parts at most. Note how they take water from the surface and mix it with air for proper flow.
    I don't think what you have is doing the job, again pictures would help but what you describe is not a good design and is not providing the proper ratio of water and air for smooth flow. Its amazing how much differencea little air mixture makes. Just to give you an idea, stick a piece of airline tubing down in what you have now about 6" and watch the flow double or triple.

Plus the Stockman and Durso only take water from the top so when power goes out they only siphon to that point and quit unlike holes down deeper like you describe.

8. Click Here!

9. socal86

socal86 Fire Worm

Good news!!! Lfs gave me some advice almost what you were saying about fixing the overflow pipe and now my skimmer and sump is working the way it should now all I got to do is get the bubbling sound to go away lol thanks for the help anyway