Water leak, cant find it!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reef_Ninja, Jul 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

Woke up this morning and found water all over the floor! My tank is a 25 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump. Woke up and heard my ATO pump running dry, came down stairs, and saw that my 6 gallon ATO reservois was empty, but the sump is only have way filled?

There doesn't seem to be any obvious leaks in the DT, and there's no water gushing from the sump. What do you guys think are some obvious sources?????

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Have you checked the s.g.? I'd suggest mixing up new salt water with same s.g. and fill up the tank and sump and see if you can see where it's coming from. Adjust s.g. later on.

4. Reef_Ninja

SG is stable at 1.025. I couldn't stay home, I'm at work (I'm a cardiac nurse, can't call in late).

It's just really weird. I know the ATO reserve had atleast 4 gallons of water in it, it's empty now. There was no water around the upper DT, only on the carpet. So in thinking if the sump level doesn't change, maybe there's a leak in the upper part of the sump, maybe at a seam?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Is it saltwater or fresh water?Maybe your reservoir has a leak.

6. Reef_Ninja

It's a fresh water reservoir. I don't think that the reservoir has a leak. That would mean there was atleast a gallon of evaporation in the sump, and that usually takes 4 to 5 days to account for that much evap.

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

If the DT or sump had a leak, and ato didn't, that would mean the ato had to have run into the system and lower s.g.. I agree with Vinny, check somewhere along the ato path before it dumps into tank/sump.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef_Ninja

The SG did drop a little from 1.026 to 1.025. I'll check the ATO reservoir. But that just doesn't account for how much water is missing from the sump?

10. Reef_Ninja

But I really won't get to look for answers until I get home. My wife says the water levels haven't changed since this morning. Thank you so much for the input this far you guys!

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Good point. Back siphon?

12. Reef_Ninja

Ehh, I don't think back siphon explains it. Just sitting here at work, I'm thinking there may be a leak in one of the seams of the sump. I'm going to add some saltwater to the sump and see what happens, if it leaks then, well we know. If not, then I have no idea!