Water is cloudy for NO reason!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NRF_85, Feb 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. agent77

agent77 Astrea Snail

I think you deserve +1 for taking the fish back . Most people just keep them to see what happens . Sorry to hear no credit for you fish . Good luck with your tank . Post some pics so we all can see .

4. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

5. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

Try and find a store that will accept credit for the future. I would want to deal with a store that is willing to do trades with people at the least. Also, find a store that has a staff with good skills/understanding of marine/reef aquariums so you dont fall into a similar trap again. It's best to build a relationship with a store so they know what you have and what your tank can handle.

6. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

right now there's a couple things you can do immediately

Start testing and changing water on a 12-24 hour basis. You have to keep your parameters and right now your tank is WAY too small to do so.
    Treat this tank in all respects as if it's cycling. If your ammonia is 1.25, do a 25% change, if it's higher you're going to have to change more. Note that large water changes increase stress. Tangs do NOT like stress, so I would make getting the Tang someplace safe a first priority.

long term

You could build a deep live sand based refugium in an auxiliary tank and pump water out and back in, but there's no way it's going to pick up the load fast enough for your particular situation. I like having a refugium/cleaner tank for worms, and other things that keep tanks clean but usually end up lunch... (shrimp, worms, pods) You can also use it as a distribution point to share water between tanks. The more water in the system the more change is required to spike stats.

Angels and tangs shouldn't be in tanks smaller than 55 gallons, and really are troublesome in tanks up to 100 gallons. The tangs especially get big fast.

As was noted don't mix clowns they will kill each other, and dead clowns make everyone sad. (Cant sleep Clown will kill me, can't sleep clown will kill me --Bart Simpson)

Good luck.

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

A tang in a 24gal? :eek: Not advised.. They like to swim, ALOT! I have a 29gal & always wanted a tang, but never got one for that reason.

Another place for error is assuming the size of the tank is equivalent to the number of gallons of water it holds. A 24gal tank filled with sand, rocks, & coral does not hold 24gal of water. In reality the water volume is often ten to fifteen percent less than the size of the tank.

Two gallons or more per fish inch is recommended for saltwater aquariums with an appropriate filtration to maintain a stable environment. Saltwater fish require more space and better water quality than freshwater fish.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

+1 Karma for you my friend. Feel really bad about you returning your fish & getting nothing in return. Also for the bozo that dekarma you. :)

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

One more mention of karma and I'm closing this thread.

11. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

"I was told my tank should be able to handle it?

1 inch of fish per gallon?"

o jeez. fresh water fish 1 gallon per inch, goldfish 2 gallons per inch, SALT WATER FISH 5 GALLONS PER INCH