Water is cloudy for NO reason!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NRF_85, Feb 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

Hello,

I just purchased a tang, bi color angelfish and another little clown fish(perc). Since I have put them in my 24g nano- my water quality has gone down- it has a lot of debris floating around in it and is slightly cloudy.

BUT- my yellow tang is going to town on my back wall that was completely covered with algae hair. It has ate about 3/4 of the entire back wall's algae which is amazingly helpful to me.

I think that it is eating so much algae at once that my biological filter can not keep up. But it also could be that I have too many fish- I have about 10 fish from small chromis to my tang who is the biggest (almost 4 inches).

I just bought $400 dollars of very nice coral from liveaquaria and don't want my tank to crash!!!!! If my water quality goes back up by the time my coral gets here I'll post pics!

ANY help would be great!

Thanks!;D

2. Click Here!

3. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

Oh and I just did a 10% WC

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

:eek:in a 24 gallon? You also added too many fish at once. Tank can't handle the additional bio-load.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

your tank is too small for a tang and your angelfish, if you sig is correct and you really have all those fish you need to take some fish back or sell them or get a bigger tank,

if you have cinnamon clowns and percs, you shouldn't mix species of clowns they will fight and kill each other.

6. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

I was told my tank should be able to handle it?

1 inch of fish per gallon?

7. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

As everyone here is saying, you spiked your bioload wayyyyyy up. And with 400 bucks of coral on the way, you need to make sure that the water is stable and healthy. I would try to get some of the fish back to the lfs...

8. Click Here!

9. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

Not at once and only when they are small and tiny. Once the fish start growing they will need a lot more room and they will create a very stressful environment for themselves....

10. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

You are VERY over stocked.

If the water is cloudy, as in white, I would do a water test.. Just to validate.

Personally, when my water went cloudy in my biocube, it was due to heat. When it happened in my 30g it was due to a pod population increase because I was at a large bio-load then decreased the load so fast that my tank went nuts and then I had green water for about a week.

Good Luck,
    Maybe someone else will have more ideas for ya.

-Fritts

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

thats fresh, you may even be able to pull that off in a fowlr, but a with a reef i wouldn't have more then 1/2 a inch per gallon with a good skimmer, i don't believe the nano has a skimmer , with no skimmer i would half it again and 1nch per 4 gallons.

you will find sometimes fish stores will give you bad advice to make a sale, good advice almost never helps a livestock sale. but its good that you joined alot of people don't join a forum until they lose a big investment

12. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

I bought all my fish online, what should I do with the tang and some others??