Urgent water in seal??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jsreef218, Sep 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jsreef218

jsreef218 Bristle Worm

I was cleaning my tank today and noticed that there is some water getting behind the seal in the corner of the tank. I'm not to sure how long its been happening but it looks pretty bad no pics atm but I will post one when light s are on in the am. Any way my question is, is there some kind of sealent that I could use under water? Its like half way down and id hate to have to drain my tank. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I don't know what I would do if my seal broke and my tank drained everywhere id be devistated.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The only thing I could think of that you could try under water would be some super glue gel, but I doubt it would adhere to the silicon and glass well enough to seal it. Even worse news is that even if you drain the tank to the spot, putting more silicon on it may not work either. Silicon usually will not adhere to dry silicon. If you are concerned, I would start looking in to a replacement tank now. Check out craigslist. You may be able to find a nice little upgrade for cheap.

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

We need some pics. But remember, the silicone on the inside that you see, is just to protect the bead that actually holds the panes of glass together. It may be fine the way it is

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

5. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

If it's not leaking, I think you'll be fine. I've seen many tanks that have had an algae scraper used on them so much that the internal bead was torn up badly, still no leaks. That inside bead has little to do with the integrity of the tank, it's the silicone sandwiched between the glass that's doing all the work.

6. marks270galreef

marks270galreef Flamingo Tongue

yep i would like to see pics as well if possible..

7. rusty84

rusty84 Plankton

at the lfs i work at all of our tanks are at least 20 yrs old with the silicone completely gone just as long as the top brace (the plastic rim around the top of the tank) and the bottom are not broke you should be good. thats really what holds the glass together not the silicone it just makes a water barrier. some of our tanks do leak but its just a small drip about every 15 mins but they still work and dirt or something clogs it up