water damage?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, Jul 27, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Is it a bad idea to remove the acrylic lids on my tank? I want the heat to dissapate faster. But will it damage my t5 florescent bulbs which are app. 5'' abve the water level? I don't think there's a chance any livestock will escape. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome guest holloway! Don't be afraid to join us here at 3reef!

You shoudn't experience any water damage. If water hits an exposed bulb the cooler water can cause a hot bulb to burst. Your 15 watt shouldn't run that hot.

Not knowing what livestock you have in your tank I can't comment on any potential jumpers.

Why don't you give us a description of your tank and/or include it in your signature once you've registered? Makes it handy to know what your situation is when dispensing advice.

4. holloway

holloway Plankton

300 Gallon Reef
    350 lbs. Live Rock
    150 lbs. Live Sand
    Ocean Water (Catalina)
    Sump-36 euro + 18 gal custom
    Pumps-Sedra dual 12ks
    Arctica Chiller 1/3
    (2) 300w Heaters
    36w UV Sterilizer

I have
    9 damsels
    2 cleaner shrimp
    1 lawnmower blenny
    1 horseshoe crab
    10 turbo snails
    25 bumblebee snails
    1 Green zooanthid
    1 Leather Toadstool
    1 Feather Duster

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Way cool setup!  Welcome to the forum.  From the livestock list you shouldn't have any jumping problems with that size of tank.  Sorry I misread your lights T5 not 15 watt.  I have glass between my 175W MHs and I'm real careful not to splash when the glass is open.  You may want to shield only where your lights are.  Do you have a photo of your light setup?

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you might want to keep an eye on the lawnmower i know of a couple that have jumped out of the water mine hits the top of the water now and then to