Water Cloudyness

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by aesp533262, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

I had a return pump go out on me about 3 weeks ago and my tank was with out circulation, other than powerheads, for about a week. since then I have noticed a cloudy haze in the water. I have done one water change last week, and im prepping another water change for today. Alk was higher than my normal, around 11-12 dkh when i tested last week, cal was at like 420-440. Is this just do to an inbalance in the alk/cal? how do i lower the alk? should it be that high?

Let me know and thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I take you mean the return from a sump? If so, without enough circulation to filter the water, you may have increased ammonia. Check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Your Alk and cal are just fine.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hey aesp533262, what happened? Everything o.k. Follow up.........

5. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

Sorry...got a little busy yesterday.

I did a water change yesterday, which I was going to do anyway. The water cleared up substantially. I have not tested the parameters yet. But I did do a thorough cleaning, sump, skimmer, socks, carbon, gfo, etc. Will get readings tonight and report back. Now to get my corals back to life. Seems I have lost to frags of monti cap (browned all over) and a green slimer (bleached white)

Thanks for keeping me in check...lol