Water Changes

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by oceansurf, Mar 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I have salt & fresh water aquariums. How often should water changes be done ? I have been doing them once a month.I read that someone on the site does them every second week. I don't test my fresh water tank, but I just did my salt water & everything was perfect.

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I do once a month. If you have a smaller system I think it's more important to keep up with water changes more diligently - especially on no skimmer systems. In my opinion there are trace elements that we simply don't test for.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I do mine every week!!!!!!
    That includes my 125, 75 and my 1-1/2 gallon nano!!
    I believe, that alot has to do with the size of your tank, bioload and amount of filtration!

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I am one of those who does not do water changes. I just top off. I check and dose out bicarb, Mg and Ca twice weekly if needed and so a trace element addition once weekly. I have been doing this since 9/08 with success. I used to be a die-hard water changer but decided to give this a try just to see if I could pull it off as well as others. Seems I have.

When I was doing WCs, I would do them weekly at about 20%, which is a pretty big number. If I were to start again, I would do 5% weekly weeks one through three and 30% on week four.

Consistancy is the key IMO.

6. tube

tube Flamingo Tongue

I have a 180g and do 50g a month !! I also keep a ''record '' of everything I do in the tank on the tank and around the tank !! Also have a R/O for auto top off !!::)::)

7. LpSman185

LpSman185 Plankton

at least once every 2 weeks...no matter what size

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

weekly 10% for me on saltwater, and to be honest I did the same on freshwater for many years

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I used to do one time per month but actually have had better luck with no water change and dosing instead! I wont do w/c other then the 30 I am about to do to take 30 gallons to put into my red sea max. I have not notices any benifite to the w/c. I dose as needed and look forward to the red sea max! I know ill have to do them in that! oh well on to the next battle the red sea battle.

11. Dirtdawg57

Dirtdawg57 Plankton

I haven't done a water change or dosing to my 55g aquarium since Nov of last year. I try doing the WC's once a month and my fish got sick every time I did it, I was spending a ton on water treatments and medicine so finally I just let it go! My fish are healthier than they have ever been, I haven't lost one since I stopped doing the WC. I even have 8 neon tetras which I always had problems raising in the past and I haven't lost even one of them and have had no diseases. Actually my fish have been multiplying like crazy. I can't count how many guppies I have because there are so many babies now and I have probably around 30 Cory fry that are getting close to 1" now. They neon tetras are spawning also but their eggs aren't hatching as far as I can tell, which doesn't really surprise me. My plants are doing very well and I think they might be helping to keep the water toxins down. I'm not trying to say that everyone should stop doing water changes but it is working for me.

12. Prodigy

Prodigy Astrea Snail

Every week for me 20%WC
    By doing it every week makes me sleep at night lol
    2 weeks would be fine i would say.