water changes

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Salty, Sep 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Salty

Salty Guest

I have my 30 gallon plant tank set up. All the plants are in & it is stocked with all the fish I want to put in it. ( guppies, platies, swords, tetras, angels) I got off to a bad start. My female sword just laid on the bottom when I put her in. It is over an hour & she is still there. The others appear fine. To prevent a disease taking over the tank, I have disposed of her. I hope I did the right thing.
    My question is, how important are water changes ? I have always done them on my other tanks, but I am afraid of disturbing the plants. What do you think ?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Did you acclimate this fish? How long did you do it for?

4. Salty

Salty Guest

Yor're right. I do have a tendency to rush things. I am just going to sit back now & let nature take its course. No more plants/no more fish. Thanks for the good advice. What about the water changes ?

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

In my experience well established plant tanks can prolong the time between water changes but I still find them necessary. Since it's only a 30 gallon I would do one every 2-3 weeks or so. About 20% change at a time. I wouldn't do more than 40% to keep the water stable.

6. Salty

Salty Guest

Would you have to vacuum the gravel each time or would the plants take care of that ?

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

As matt said water changes are very important . I did monthly water changes on my freshwater planted aquaruim. I had very good luck with my tank....

8. Click Here!

9. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

I've always done water changes on my planted tank and I would also vacuum the gravel a bit. I wouldn't shove it down deep and risk cutting up the roots but the plants aren't going to do anything with the garbage that will eventually accumulate.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Also to add to what J.P mentioned I always ran a carbon reactor or kept a old Fluval filled up with carbon to help keep the yellow water at bay Tannins are easily removed by carbon

11. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I did my water changes 1 a month. I would vacuum the gravel but only lightly as to not disturb the plants. Watch the Angel with the plants, cichlids are notorious for ripping plants out. Gouramis are cool fish so if you ever have to replace a fish consider a Gouramis. Also I ran carbon 24/7 and changed it monthly.