Water changes.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Jay, Oct 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

What di you people think about this guys idea about water changes? Seems like it might stress the fish and corals. Look at what he says about temp and salinity when changing. I know he has lots of experiance because I have been to his store and seen his livestock and corals. Its backward from what Ive been researching. Please clear this up because tomorow is water maintenance day for me. [smiley=thinking2.gif]

http://www.seahorse-nw.com/New_Tips__Tricks.html
    Jay
    Moses Lake

And here is a useful link. Coral search engine.
    ]http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/coralid_search.php
    Washington

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I would say the premise is a little flawed because if you do weekly water changes, the routine will keep the nitrates from building up. If you have a water parameter problem, then yes, the better way would probably be a larger water change. But for maintenance, if you do water changes (and not everyone does), then I can't see a problem with smaller ones on a regular basis.

The thing with this hobby is, every one is different and what works for me may or may not work for you. You have to figure out what you want to deal with, and how. If it works, run with it!

I also don 't like the idea of letting the tank fluctuate temp wise. "like the ocean"??? Over the span of a year you may get that type of fluctuation but not every day! Ocean temps on coral reefs are relatively stable if I am not mistaken. He also has no problem with a plus or minus 15 degrees temp difference with a water change? I don't know about that.....doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why add stress that is unnecessary to the system IMHO.

4. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I have to agree with BL. 15 deg is way to far off for me. I will stay with my 8 gal weekly changes in my 55 gal.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Jay,

I think he means that the 'new' water can be plus or minus 15 degrees and the salinity plus or minus 0.002.

Once mixed with the old water still in the tank the fluctuation would not be that great.

John :)

6. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Holy crap!  I'm stunned thats all you have to say John.  I think I may just pass out [smiley=upsidegrin.gif]

Oh yah, Maybe I should comment on the actual topic. I don't believe in doing Large water changes unless I think there is a major problem in the water. I think small consistent water changes are much better. I try to match my current water parameters as close as possible to help reduce stress to my inhabitants. Some things can even be killed by dramatic water changes. i.e. Starfish. Everyones opinion will vary, you will just have to weigh out the pros and cons and come up with your own method.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Water;num=1098578299;start=0#4 date=10/24/04 at 16:14:21]Holy crap!  I'm stunned thats all you have to say John.  I think I may just pass out [smiley=upsidegrin.gif].[/quote]

My feelings about water changes are well known SF, and I am not going to 'harp' on about them as it is pointless. I agree with what you wrote about different methodology and as they say in the classics. " The proof of the pudding is in the eating"

John

8. Click Here!

9. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

John: you are not totally right. You said it won't fluctuate a lot. But he is talking about a 50 gallon change in a 100 gallon tank. With 15 degree temp difference there will be still 7.5 degrees difference in the tank. That's still a lot I think...

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well, OK but I can't see that a maximun fluctuation of 7.5 degrees once per month could really have any great effect. JMHO :)

John