Water changes during cycle?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NOWICKI, Aug 12, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

Let me start by saying what a great site this is! :thumbsup: Lots of useful info. I've read just about every topic and have yet to find any info about doing water changes during the cycle. I don't have a test kit yet(the boss hasn't released the funds ::) ). But I do know that the amonia was pretty high last week and I have had the tank for going on my second week. The gravity is fine, temp is fine, alge is growing on the LR, LS, and on the filter intake. Also, maybe it is my paranoia but I think the LR is getting smaller and the holes within it are getting larger?!?

Should I do a water change?
    Should I know my exact paramaters before doing a water change?
    Should I continue to be patient?
    Should I use amonia detox and pro buffer?

Oh, I have:
    8# LR
    2 bags of Araga-life LS (#?)
    2 Turbo snails
    2 little crabs

Visit http://homepage.mac.com/nowicki/PhotoAlbum4.html for pictures.

Thanks for all your help!
    -Ryan

2. Click Here!

3. Sally

Sally Plankton

-Yes you should test during the cycle. Pick up Martin Moe's "The Marine Aquarium Handbook", turn to chapter 6 page 125 and check out the Conditioning and Maintenance Chart for the Marine Aquarium from Day 1 thru Year 1. I'll bet you can find this book used at Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Moe says no water change till after the Nitrites have dropped - around Day 30 in the cycle.

What size tank btw?

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hi

no water changes can slow down the cycle. when i first started the lfs kept telling me to do water changes. (didnt know better) told me to do 25-50% and it was actually restarting my cycle everytime i did one. best thing is just let it ride.

yes do your first water change after ammonia and nitrites have dropped to 0

yes you are going to have to have patience through the entire time of your tank. depending on what u plan some fish and most corals need established tanks and or special needs.

ive tried ammonia detox stuff and IMO i think they are a waste of money. they work for a little but then the parameters return back to where they were. seems they just mask it for a while. also once a tank is established and the nitrogen cycle is finished there should be no ammonia or nitrite readings at all. the bacteria should be stableized enough to take care of that. ive had people at a fs yell at me for testing for these because i shouldnt have to. but i do just to be sure for myself even though they are always 0

5. NOWICKI

NOWICKI Astrea Snail

My tank is a 26g bowfront

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

;D Heh. I have a lot of things over the years, but that is a new one to me! I think you might be staring at your tank a little bit. Heh. 'Aquaria Transfixia' let's call it. :razz:

I used to think I was getting a cataract in my left eye from the glare of my halide. ::)

Heh. Lots of good advice here. Good luck...

:)

7. vickipansy

vickipansy Plankton

I wish I had read this sooner as I have done water changes to bring my density down, ( it was 1.025 and what I was reading in books to have it at), since my local fish store owner said it should be at 1.022-1.023 at most.

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

vickipansy
    if your water is at 1.025 i wouldnt worry to much just dont let it get over that a decent range is 1.021-1.025 if you need to lower your salt just add some fresh water in the tank or when you do your water changes make your change water a bit lower by testing it with your hydrometer

10. vickipansy

vickipansy Plankton

One thing I did want to ask is if I am at day18 and so far everything is doing fine, that is, I did have an amonia spike but dealt with it, can I assume I am done cycling for the most part? I'm not sure this falls under the orriginal thread but I can't find a new thread button anywhere.

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the best way to tell when the cycle is over is you have to test your water. your ammonia will spike then your nitrites before you put anything in ur tank both should be 0 and you should have a nitrate reading

read this thread on the nitrogen cycle

nitrogen cycle

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice link Karla. [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

I am going to add this to the links library ... if that's ok with you! ;D