water change ?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by karlas, Apr 18, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i was originally doing a 5% water change/wk but with running skimmerless i upped it to 10%. but now i started running a skimmer should i keep up the 10 or would it be ok to go back to the 5% a week change? id appreciate anybodys opinions thnx

2. Click Here!

3. Wolffvet

Wolffvet Astrea Snail

I am prett new to reef tanks but I would think 10 would be fine even with the skimmer because no matter how clean the water is it still gets old and it nutrients removed. By you replacing 10% every week you keep the water fairly new and the trace elements in the water.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think it would be fine to go back if you wanted to.

They used to say around 20% a month. You are still hitting that at 5% a week.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i heard from somewhere that you should change about 25% a WEEK!! this might be overkill, but it would certainly keep your water from going old. ;D

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

shrimp man some people do 25% but i personally wouldnt reccomend that much at one time unless in an emergency. one thing to remember when you change water you are removing bacteria from the water which has to replenish itself. when i was first learning to much of a water change can actually throw your tank into a cycle and if livestock is in the tank that is the last thing you want to happen. thats has been my experience on that. by the way i have been trying the 5% with the skimmer and seems to work fine that way so im sticking with it.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Plankton

25% per week is overkill in my opinion.

I usually change about 10% every 2 weeks unless there is an algae bloom or something pops up on the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate tests. I dose calcium, vitamins, calcium carbonate, and some other supplements whenever necessary.

:thumbsup: