Water change and still the same levels?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 90_Berlin_joe, May 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Just a thought here, I added another power head to blast behind my rock and what do you know! POOP every where!!!! I mean it was just blowing all over my tank took 4 hours to clear up a little! So thought here is "tell me if i am wrong". blowing this junk up and allowing it to be picked up in to the over flow and into my skimmer would this possibly help lower Nitrates since it is not sitting in the sand? I did not test last night for I am setting up to do another BIG water change 50gal. This might be the end of my problems or a beginning of another. Now i have two return line and 3 power heads. Maybe i should look into setting up my return line better after all I do have a 1500gph pump running the show!

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't think that getting that stuff out of the tank can do anything but help your problem. I would stir up as much of that junk as you can and then do a good sized water change to help remove as much as you can. Siphon that stuff out of your trap in your sump if you can too. Sounds like quite a lot of build up to me. Hope this works for ya!

maybe you could rig a filter pad or two and a pump up for a mechanical filter too?

Just a thought :)

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You might want to purchase a diatom filter. They are great for clean ups such as the one you're describing.

5. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

We'll after all that hustle and bustle I believe I have it. Added one power head to blow out the back of the rock and now i can see the water flow stirring up things. so i did a 40gal water change last night and BINGO! levels this morning was at 20 a nice shade of orange that i have missed oh so well. One more big change and that should get me to the maintain level.

Thank you every one for your suggestion, I am now working on a de-nitrification unit and a Diatom filter for clean ups. AND NOT TO MENTION! WATER CHANGES EVERY WEEK! I am going to start out with just 10gal and see where that takes me. Also thinking about adding in a closed loop with another 1500gph pump. I think that should do well.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I am glad that you figured this one out! I was scratching my head trying to come up with something noone else had. Good Detective work.

Jim

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:thumbs_up

Good news!!