Water change and still the same levels?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 90_Berlin_joe, May 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

We'll the test was not lying :worried: 2 different LFS confirmed and were stumped at to why the level did not go down after 35gal water change in total. Then when i told them all my fish and coral were alive they looked at me in disarray.

What do i do now???:confused: I am totally lost for at that level i will never have good growth and always worry about losing something. Not only that i will not be able to add anything to my tank in fear that it will die instantly.

Please help!::)

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hagen has a test kit that tests all them for about $90.00.

4. 90_Berlin_joe

OK this is getting to be a major headache! I have in the past 2 weeks changed out over 80 gal of fresh RO/DI water tested with 0 nitrates, ph 8.3, cal 450, temp 77.8 and 1.24 gravity. All in which should lower my nitrates below 80! I am still running between 140 and 180. I have blown all the detritus all my rock, vacuumed the sand bed, trimmed the grape culpira in my refuge cleaned out my skimmer, decreased feeding and still no good.

SOMEONE COME AND GET THIS THING BEFORE I CHUCK IT OUT THE WINDOW!

Talking about being frustrated with no solution in sight.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

What is your lighting in the Refugium?

6. 90_Berlin_joe

I was pointed to this for the water proof and fluorescent bulb. Bright effect at Lowes

I bet your going to say that is the cause and point me to a better light right, well i hope anyway!

7. Jason McKenzie

No but I'm concerned about the duration of light. How long and when do you light the Refugium

J

8. Click Here!

9. 90_Berlin_joe

i have the light on 24/7. At first i was doing reverse lighting but i needed the timer for a power head.

10. Jason McKenzie

Dam I was hoping you were gong to say the lights were on the 8 to 10 hours a day.

You may want to try a different Macro algae instead of bubble calurpa. Maybe Cheato or something.
    How is the Calurpa growing?

I would try getting all the macro out of the refugium and see if there is any change over a couple of days.

J

11. 90_Berlin_joe

growing good however there is a little red (cyno) growing.

I will remove all macro and just have LR and LS and see what happens. I will also look for some cheato in the LFS.

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

How old is the sandbed? It should be bubbling like a airstone with that much nitrate in the tank. Is it hardened or extra dirty. Do you have any black pockets forming in it?