Waspfish advise!

Discussion in 'Lionfish Lair' started by Chance, Nov 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

So I gots myself a new fish, what am I in for, Greg and Renee?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe it's a waspfish. He's eating prepared mysis already, and it's so cool to watch!

Just curious as to what I should look out for, as well as what to add to his diet. Thanks! Also I'm currently running Bare Bottom, is that going to be a critical factor? How big will he/she get?

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What you have there is a wispy/longspine waspfish (Paracentrpogon longispinus). Being a bottom-dweller for the most part, it would indeed appreciate even a thin layer of substrate.

IME with this fish, they tend to be a bit more cryptic than the other waspfishes we've kept, and also tend to change color a lot. They have small mouths, and are pretty peaceful fishes in general, but don't have quite the "personality" of the cockatoo waspfish. If you have trouble finding it, look under any small caves or overhangs you may have in the rockwork.

I'm glad your specimen is eating for you...ours is a bit picky, even to the point that it refuses to eat for me, but it does like Renee. As for what to feed it, they get the same fare as our other fishes...SW fish bits, shrimp, bivalve meat, etc. We feed ours the "usual" M-W-F in terms of frequency.

Do remember that the fish is venomous...in fact, being pretty closely-related to stonefishes and stingfishes, waspfishes have one of the most potent venoms out there, not deadly, but painful. That being said, I've never, EVER worried about getting popped by a waspfish...they're pretty mellow an predictable. You'd pretty much have to put your hand on it to get nailed. In fact, our cockatoo waspfish used to rest in my open palm (there are indeed spines on its ventral and pelvic fins, so be careful here as well).

I love the red coloration of your specimen, BTW.