Was given an aquarium for the kids but I'm taking care of it...Hello fishies!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Air_Cooled_Nut, Jun 12, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Astrea Snail

Our young kids wanted a fish tank and we ended up having a aiptasia-infested tank given to us, a 29-gallone BioCube. It came with two clown fish, one black and one orange, and a blue bodied with yellow belly fish, two Turbo Snails (boy that cracks me up), and a small handful of tiny snails and hermit crabs. Oh, and a variety of worms and waaaay too much aiptasia!

I tried some berghia sea slugs but they disappeared and never saw them again (about 2 months) and the anemones still flourished. Bought a wrasse to help eat some of the worms. Installed a powerhead to keep the water flowing beyond the filter pump. Local fish shop has been helpful with my utter newbness to salt-water fisheries. My hobby is cars and motorcycles, not fish.

I finally gave up and transferred the fish and snails/crabs to their own tub and nuked the 'cube (bleached and vinegar cleansing). Creatures transfered to back to their tank, new live sand (bought at store, packaged), no live rock nor corals, just letting the 'new' environment settle in. Fish are happy (they are smiling according to my kids) and no more worms & aiptasia. Yeay! In a few weeks wife will go to store to get urchins, coral, etc.

Here's a video of Patrick (yes, from Sponge Bob Squarepants) on the filter output head. Don't know how he did it. Yes, the tank is a dump but that was then, now it's clean. Work in progress...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Billme, zesty and Corailline like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. :)

Now that is funny stuff. Silly turbo snail.

Sounds like you're acquiring a good handle on the situation. If you need further assist just post, we're happy to help.

4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Don't show my snails this, they'll want amusement park rides in their reef! :D

Welcome! :)

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef. It's starts with a 29 gallon and ends up a 200 gallon. You have been warned......lol

6. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Welcome to 3reef! Like DSC reef mentioned it usually starts small then next thing you're tearing down walls to create a fish room.

If you have any questions or need info, members here are great and will give you best advice.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome the forum! loved the snail video. It's great that your kids are interested - so many things can be taught while keeping a reef :)