Warpaint gobys?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by April Hope, Nov 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

I have a question about my warpaint goby! We've had him about a month, I actually thought he might be dead, he's soooooo tiny! But just yesterday, my husband and I spotted him alive and well and it appears he is hosting in our large Duncan? Is this normal behavior? It isn't as though it's a problem, but I was completely unaware that this is behavior common to a goby? Has anyone see this?

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

It's very common for clown type gobies to host corals. in the wild theyre usually found living in the branches of acros. I have a yellow clown goby that hangs around in my pectinias. he keeps them clean and even tries to feed the coral at times! he may "taste" your Duncan but I wouldn't worry to much about it as he'll more then likely leave it alone and just hang out on top of it.

4. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

That's just groovy! I'm mostly happy he's alive! Well good deal, I for some reason didn't even associate him with clown behavior, but I have heard of some clown gobies hosting. Neat!

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Just want to point out that it's not the fish "hosting". It's the coral hosting the fish. Rock on! ☺
    Fish don't host anything except,parasites,parties, and sometimes gameshows.☺
    Glad you found the little guy/gal.It is not unusual for small fish to hide amongst the branches of corals.☺

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    April Hope and DSC reef like this.
  6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Personally I always consider clown gobies not reef safe atleast with SPS. I can't tell you how many horror stories I've heard of them nipping polyps or stressing coral to death.

7. April Hope

April Hope Fire Shrimp

Touché, good point. He's pretty cool, he lays inside Duncan's heads until it closes on him then moves to a new head. Love watching it. When the lights are on he hides in the branches!

Sataly and Vinnyboombatz like this.