WARNING: Do not buy Helios lights!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JPfish, Sep 25, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Just to inform you all that my 2nd Helios ballast crapped out after only 2 weeks. Hellolight.com even said that they were going to stop carrying them and that they will give me a full refund.

So I have 2 options now, maybe this is my chance to upgrade to MH's or get a 4X96 PC retro kit and add it to an ABS canopy.

If going with the MH option, I was considering 2 175W bell shaped pendants, one for each side of the tank, but my LFS said that I would cook the tank from overheating. My tank is 20" tall
    Which would be the best option? I know 4X96 would probably run cooler. Please advise!!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

oh your f kidding me... oh I feel horrible. I was pretty pumped on those lights! :-[ That sucks!!

I guess it's true about what they say about deals that too good to be true... they are!

I gotta get over this..

sounds like you want halides....

Ill be back. :-/

4. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Well I purchased the 4X96 PC retro kit instead of the Halides, they should be shipping tomorrow (they gave me a good deal, and credited me for the Helios even before I ship, so that I'm not without a light meanwhile). you can check the retro kit out at :
    http://www.hellolights.com/4654x96wpccf.html

My only concern now is what I should mount them in.

If I go with a Hamilton ABS Canopy with lens, it will leave me with about 1.5" along the bank of the tank for circulation/evaporation, but pretty much cover the entire top since it's 10.5' W and my tank is 13" W (less with the filter components).

My other option would be to get one of the wooden "petsmart" canopies with a hinge that lifts the top up, at least I will have a big open area in the back for ventilation, would I need lens/splashguard??

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well at least you can control those lights with timers now!
    Although that is a lot of ballasts on those lights .. .they look nice though... did you get them?

What hood are you leaning towards?

6. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

I'm inclined to get an oak canopy with the top that opens up. Hellolights said that I should put glass covers over the top of my tank to prevent the lights from getting splashed, but I think that will reduce gas exchange and heat the water too much, so I might just put a plastic lens over the lights instead.

My other option would be to go with a Hamilton ABS canopy http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=6088&cat=40&, but if I sit that on the tank then it will be the same as adding the glass covers....maybe I can rest it on two blocks, one at each end of the tank so that the lens is about 4" from the top of the tank and it has room to breath.

What do you think?

7. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Oh, by the way, I haven't received the unit yet, it comes in on monday :thumbsup2:

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was leaning towards the oak canopy too, especially with your current tank and stand. I think it would be easier to deal with - with a hinged top.

I wouldn't sweat the glass top with your waterproof endcaps. Your lights should be fine, just wipe the scum off periodically.
    The humidity could be bad for the wood, but I am sure it is treated!

Should be cool!! :thumbsup2: