Want to set up a small tank, need advice before purchase.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nedim, Jun 1, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nedim

nedim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Few years ago I owned a 75 gallon reef tank. Due to moving I tore it down and sold everything. I haven't been in the hobby for a little while now and might be a bit rusty. I want to set up a 20 gallon tank. BRS has a special startup package that doesn't seem like a bad deal. Can anyone look at it and give their opinion? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nuvo-fusion-20-gallon-starter-tank-kit.html

I am hoping those lights will be good enough for LPS corals. If not, I could get AI prime LED's. What do you guys think about them? Also, should I get a protein skimmer like this one http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-comline-doc-skimmer-9004.html ? Anything else I need besides RO/DI ?

I appreciate the help.

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Nuvo make nice tanks I have the 38. Well that deal does not include the stand from what I see.. not really impressed by deal
    You can get tank alone for $200 so that leaves you another $400.00 for the rest of the stuff.
    If you want to spend the money on a AI sure but look into reef radiance or reefbreeder units.

Sure others will chime in on the Tunze

I think you can do much better putting it together yourself.

4. nedim

Thanks for the reply Chris. I will look into that and try to put the kit together myself. Do you use the innovative marine stand for your tank? if you do can you tell me about the quality? i saw a few reviews and i am not very impressed.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am using the Tunze Doc 9001 on a 20 gallon, nice little skimmer for a nano. The IM made too many micro bubbles for me.

Not a lot of prime owners out there yet. I like AI products though, I have the Hydra. I have heard that the tank mount can be iffy though.

6. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Having a 20 will be harder than a 75 - especially with no sump. Smaller tanks just are more sensitive to small mistakes. If you consider yourself rusty and aren't very confident, that's something to consider. They also fill up fast as far as fish go. If you had a clown pair, you couldn't have much else in there.

But if that's what you really want, I'd definitely get the tank separately. I just don't see how the rest of the stuff adds up to $400 as a value deal. $20-25 for refractometer, $60 of dry rock, and live sand in a bag isn't alive and only helps start the cycle by providing dead bacteria as food for new bacteria to grow, etc. You can get pumps shaped the same on ebay for like $15 and they work great. My friend has had one in her saltwater tank for years, I had one in a tank that dealt with turtle abuse but always stayed on the glass and ran without fail until I upgraded to a setup that only uses sump pumps. I personally would especially wish to pick out the rock locally to choose the shapes etc and for that kind of money you should be able to get live rock.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

We had a stand from another marineland tank that had sprung a leak

You will see in pic there is opening in top. We ended up making a solid top for the tank to sit on. Stand is very solid but not cheap. Wife wanted it and she gets what she wants. A happy wife is a happy husband.

http://www.marineland.com/Products/...es/ventura-oak-aquarium-stands-furniture.aspx

I would definitely look around and check craigs list etc. Stands are stupid expensive to purchase new.

8. Click Here!

9. nedim

Hmm I asked BRS if the 9001 or the 9004 skimmer would fit in the back and they said NO. They recommend to use the Innovative Marine ghost skimmer.

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Do not limit yourself to skimmers that fit internal back compartment. You could always do an HOB and hang in in middle section. A bit pricey but a lot of happy people.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...ein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1151-FIPSHONW-vi.html

I have a psk-75h on my redsea 130d but I am not sure about the length of the water intake pipe you may have to put a little extender on it to keep it further down in the return area if you chose this.
    http://www.eshopps.com/products/proteinskimmer/hangon/psk75h/

Also have the innovative skimmate skimmer on 38 and it works ok just nothing I would suggest purchasing with the other options available

Take you time rush nothing research all components. Take everyones opinion with a grain of salt unless backed by the masses!
    Try to find other people with the IM 20 and see what they are running. Use all resources, forums etc...

PS you do not have to have a skimmer right away so you could get tank and start getting it setup and cycled and continue your research

11. gdwats1

gdwats1 Plankton

Well I didn't see a protein skimmer or a stand? Those lights might be OK for softies I'm not sure what's in there. I got a Yasha nano sitting in my garage still in the box with stand. its on Craigslist. I don't think that has a compartment in the back to put a small skimmer in or anything. I think if I had that tank I would put in the overflow I get a sump and a stand and a protein skimmer and maybe New lights