Want to move him but

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Puffer Chick, May 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I have had my crocea on the sand for a couple weeks the person that had him before me also had it on the sandbed, i tried him on the rocks but then he jumped off and thankfully it was at night other wise he would have landed in the bubble, so afraid that he would fall in the bubble i just left him on the sand.

I did some slight tweaking around of the rocks and now i have a flattish rock that might be good for him, my only worry is that it's right next to the vortech and the ugly filter sock.

My question, i want to move him because he has truned pretty much completly on his side, so im thinking maybe he needs more light, but im worried about injuring the foot. I am new to clams so how do i know if he has attached it to the glass or not, i am worried that if he is attached that i will tear his foot.

Here's a couple crappy shots of him right now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Attempt to gently pick him up, if there is resistance then he is attached.

4. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

If you can get under your tank to look at the glass I would do that to see if you can see anything foot-looking. It might be a good idea to take a rock or maybe a big sea-shell and flip it upside down like a bowl, fill it with sand, and then put the clam on that. I've done that for our clam and it's worked well for me. So far it hasn't tried to jump off of it. This also allows for easy relocation of the clam if you need to for some reason like cleaning or emergencies.

If it's not attached to the glass, you could take a huge clump of sand up with it, or maybe get a tupperware lid to shovel out everything for the move.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok thanks for the tip i will try
    it looks like the clam is completly on his side so maybe he's not attached im going to attempt to move him to see what happens, im just afraid of him falling off the rocks again

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Clams are real hardy when it comes to falls. Just try and place it on the largest, most level rock you can.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

if its in a crevis is it ok only problem there is no where for it to attach his foot, the place that i had in mind was just to close to the filter sock. it easily came out of the sand, it looked like it had attached its foot to a small shell, there was no tention at all

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

alright so i moved him, he still is not fully open, i hope he opens back up, some of legs are kind of dangaling but he's also attached to that shell or whatever it is, its something thats kind of hanging there, i am worried! is he going to be ok if he doesnt have anything attach to?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

looks like he's wedge in there good. is there enough room for the shell to open, being wedged in there tight?

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i hope theres enough room, he's not fully opening, but maybe its to tight

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i did some slight adjusting to him still not fully open but hopefully he's just adjusting to the new spot, other wise if i cant make him happy on the rocks, guess ill just move him back to the sand