want to get a clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by jarrettd123, Sep 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jarrettd123

jarrettd123 Astrea Snail

Hey guys i have just set up a 26 gallon tank its been running about 2 months. Im interested in putting a clam in the tank. My main question is do they require calcium and other elements similar to Hard coral? also what types of food do they like. Are lighting arrangements difficult.
    thanks

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I would strongly recommend doing your homework before picking up a clam. first, pick out which one you want, then a 30 second google search would answer all the above questions.

They all get pretty big, not sure how long a 26 gallon will be suitable for any of them.

~Will.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

first, what lighting do you have?
    they require strong lighting for photosynthesis of the zooxanthellae

yes they use calcium, but regulating isnt as easy as just putting it in... you need to keep your alkalinity (dkh) and magnesium in check too

5. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

I want to put a clam in my tank as well, but am waiting for the one year anniversary. Not for any reason other than by the end of the first year, I will have a much better understanding of all of the things required to keep such a beautiful animal.

+1 to knowing that most need good lighting and maintaining other params as well.

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

A minimum of 250 watt MH bulbs. My clams have all died under 150 Mh bulbs. Everything else in my tank was perfect. Clams seem to be doing good at first and then one day they will just die on you. In terms of feeding just some Phytoplankton in the tank. Also very little nitrates are actually good for clams. If your tank water is too clean like mine was they might not do so well either. They are filter feeders.

I don't know about T5's as I don't use them

7. jarrettd123

jarrettd123 Astrea Snail

ok i am running an aquaticlife hood it has T5 with 700+ 42-/460 and leds which can all be programmed i didnt know that all grew to very large sizes but it sounds like my habitat needs to be a little more advanced before i get one of these guys. Thanks for all the help folks :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

k+ for asking for and taking good advice.

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

they are filter feeders so a slight bit of silicate in your water will be helpful... but be careful, diatoms love silicate! lol

11. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have a clam that is doing great under my pc lights. It has grown a lot in the time I have had it. I agree with a lot of the advice but they will do real good under pc lights if you get one of the ones that do not need such intense light such as a Crocea.