Want to Add More Fish--Need Input

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Pastey, Sep 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

[​IMG]

Tank seems a little bare and understocked in the Fish Dept. so I'm looking to add some to my stock list which is currently:

(1)Achilles Tang (~4-5")
    (1)Sailfin Tang (~4")
    (2)Occ. Clownfish
    (1)Midas Blenny
    (1)Blue Chromis
    (1)Flame Angel

My system is 200 + sump volume and is 48x36x27 (200DD). The rockwork is minimal with fish in mind first and coral placement second.

I've suffered a few losses in the passed 6 months or so. First, my mandarin did not make it despite having a large system, no other real major contenders for pods and a refugium. I do suspect it starved and the only reason I can think of to explain a lack of pods would be not enough rockwork. I now see pods all over the glass. My red headed solon fairy wrasse flat out disappeared one day. It always ate well and one day was gone without a trace. I don't really have a guess on this one but I don't believe I was to blame. Lastly, my goby died of what was either internal parasites or starvation. He ate voraciously and I began to spot feed him when I noticed his lack of girth but nothing seemed to help him put on weight.

On to what I'd like:
    I've always loved the leopard wrasse (almost as much as the achilles tang). I know they are predominantly pod hunters but I've read a lot of success stories about switching them to frozen or, at least, black worms which I have access to. This fish is at the top of my short list.

When I had my haddonni, I lost my lyretail anthias. I always liked the color and group interactions they offered so I'm up to giving them a try again. I feed my tank 4 times daily with pellets, half sheet of nori once daily and frozen LRS one every 2 days so there is plenty of food all the time.

My mind isn't made up and I'd like to hear some opinions. So, WWYA (What Would You Add?)

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Maybe 11 resplendent anthias (or whatever kind you like), a leopard wrasse, and a fairy wrasse or two.

I don't really care for the usual approach to big tanks of large tangs and angels.

Keep in mind your tank is only 4' long (beautiful by the way) so I wouldn't do tangs period. This leaves you much room for anthias and other smaller fish.

4. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I haven't really considered any more tangs for 2 reason, one of which you mentioned: horizontal swimming room. The other was that I did not want to increase the likelihood of aggression or unnecessary stress. I prefer the look of multiple smaller fish to one large. Thanks for your input.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

With that little rock work you have to consider fish need places to hide and sleep.Something that's not talked about much but I would guess sleep deprivation is very stressful.I know it is for me.lol Also everytime you add a new fish you could very well start a battle.Consider also if the Leopard does not accept prepared foods it will probably starve.
    I need a nap.:)

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Then I would definitely look into a school of anthias. I'm always a fan of the oddball stuff, so I personally like the resplendent or the princess anthias.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would go for a schooling group - blue reef chromis are pretty cool - anthias are nice. I loved my flamehawk (I'm waiting for my LFS to get one in) and wrasses are a great addition because they are so colorful and active. What about a goby/pistol pair? I think YWG are so cool.

8. Click Here!

9. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I did add a lot of rock that sort of doesn't come out in the picture. The back wall, about 3/4 of the way up, is a rock wall with space behind and plenty of nooks/crannies/caves. I do agree with your thought though...fish need an area to "get away" from the other fish as well as commotion outside the tank. I'd imagine it makes them feel more secure.

The only thing I have against purchasing a group of fish so they can school is that most species stop doing that in an aquarium setting. It's theorized that fish school to protect themselves from predators and without predators, they school less or not at all. Most groups of chromis wind up picking themselves off until there is only one left; which I already have (1 chromis). I've always liked wrasses and with the leopard being my favorite, it would probably wind up being the only one. I do like the goby/pistol symbiotic interaction but my fear is that in a big tank, they may choose a spot in the tank that is hard or impossible for me to watch. For this reason, I decided that if or when I decide to go that route, I'll probably house them in my unused IM 8 and maybe keep it in my office or something.

It makes me nervous to consider new fish. I absolutely can not stand losing anything prematurely....makes me feel like I have sub-par husbandry. Thanks for all of your suggestions and keep them coming. I've got a lot of reading and thinking to do :)

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Found myself with the opportunity to check out a LFS that I don't get to visit very often while in New Orleans on Saturday. The stores around me have been kind of slim pickings the last few weeks so it was nice to check out a different store. Anyway, I picked up some fish I'm really happy to have found. Even the wife go to choose a fish she was drawn too...always nice when she gets involved :) Picked up a pair of Barlett's antias, a melanarus wrasse and the flame hawkfish was the wife's pick (everything else she liked would have either eaten my corals or fish) xD

Bartlett's
    [​IMG]

Melanarus
    [​IMG]

Hawkfish was a little shy so I don't have a picture yet.