Walt Smith Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Blade_Runner, Dec 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Hi,

I need to load up on live rock for my new 210. That's a lot of rock and a lot of $. I'm thinking about starting with 200lb. The local stores run from $4-6 per pound. Ocean Pro on E-Bay has delivered cured Walt Smith rock for around $3 per pound. They claim to have a 110% guarantee.

Has anyone delt with them? Any comments? Also, with a 4+" bed I'm planning to sink the rock to the glass for stability. That is a lot of wasted rock. Has anyone used a lower cost base of some sort? I was even thinking about bricks, which has to be a bad idea.

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Base rock is the way to go for the first layer and then LR on top of that. No experience with Walt Smith!.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hirocks.com

I was going to order here, but ended up getting a torn down system local for less.....

5. OldandNew

OldandNew Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Check out GARF.org

They have a "grow your own" live rock process that is budget friendly and appears to work.

The only change I would do to their program is I would do the DSB vice the plenum.

As for supporting the rock, you might consider 3 inch long rounds cut from 3 inch pvc pipe placed within the DSB and under where you plan on placing the rock. Place the rounds, fill with three inches of sand, place the rock, then fill with the rest of the sand. You might consider making the rounds rough on the bottom ends and maybe drilling some holes in them to encourage water flow through them.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
    Ray

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

[quote author=birdlady link=board=General;num=1103246890;start=0#2 date=12/16/04 at 18:47:40]Hirocks.com

I was going to order here, but ended up getting a torn down system local  for less.....[/quote]

Good price on delivered base rock. I bought 60 pounds of their best. I'll post up with an opinion upon delivery.

Thanks,

Bruce

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cool! The PVC tubes is a good idea as well. Then you don't have as much dead space around each rock. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I was thinking about that too. Plus if done right could help with the anaerobic denitrification.

Ray, thanks for the link. Right now, I'm too lazy and it's too cold in Chicago. I'll never get it done.

10. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Birdlady,

I don't know if it is a problem, but as of today I have not recieved any acknowledgement of my payment or an ETA on the rock. As of right now be careful of Hirocks.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I hope it's a simple mix-up BR. Do you have a customer service or tracking number?

12. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Their ears must have been burning. I just got a reply to my email with a UPS tracking number. It shipped on Monday. I ordered it late Friday and it was pickup scanned Monday around 2. Discounting the weekend that's fast! Now I have to wait out UPS ground from CA. With the holiday it will probably be next week.