Wally's 125

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by WALLY89, Oct 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WALLY89

WALLY89 Astrea Snail

Hello,
    So i figured i should post my tank and see what you guys think. My tank is only 4-5 weeks old. I have 150+ lbs of live rock, 80ish lbs of LS, CPR dual bak-pak skimmer(only rated at 100g but seems to do the job i think?)2 koralia number 2's and one forgot the brand but 600gph pump. 72inch 2x96watt 12,000k's daylights and 2 96 watter actinics. i have some hermit crabs, 2 emeralds, a yellow, kole, and blue hippo tang. no sump or fuge. All para. are good.

Few problems i have run into. keeping a stable temp. if i have my heater set for 77 or 78 whichever. it will stay there but when the lights are on... it heats up to like 81. so i tried setting my temp at 80 and it still heats up farther to 82. so idk what to do? and its causing ich to show on my tangs. but there eating great so they get over it fast. also my skimmer is only rated for 100g. Well theres still things floating in my tank. like pieces of my dried seaweed i hang in there. seems like the skimmer isent doing enough? but i mean it usually settles on the bottom and when i do my weekly WC i just siphon that stuff out so idk is that ok? should i get another form of filteration? if so what?

going to post some pics of the tank in just a sec!

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I'd look at changing the skimmer, also with the tank being that young you have one heck of a bio-load on it already and you may want to add some other hermits and snails for a cleanup crew, most of the time you want to think about 1 snail and hermit for every gallon of water.

On the temp a heater can only heat the water, like its name says, the lights will bring up heat, you can add a fan blowing across the water's surface and that will help control it, if that doesnt do enough you would have to add a chiller.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You better hurry up with the pics before we call Luna and have you arrested for violating 3reef laws. :)

Add a fan to the top of tank or your sump will help with heat issue if you can't afford a chiller.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

At 4-5 weeks old, you shouldnt have anything(livestock) in your tank.
    When your tank starts its cycle period, all your tangs will die. Did you do any research before getting started? Luna

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

+ 1, sorry but you need to get them out...

7. WALLY89

WALLY89 Astrea Snail

yes i did my live rock was fully cured. and im sorry i didnt mean 4-5 weeks i mean 4-5weeks after i cycled it even with my cured live rock. i had it cycle for 3 weeks. and im working on them pics whats the easiest way to post them?

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Thats still a really young tank to have that much in, even though your initial cycle is done you'll still have mini-cycles for up to 18 months before everything is settled in. Usually you want to increase the bio-load on a marine tank very slowly so things can adjust. That being said it's your tank and all we can do is offer opinions and options.

On the pics, I use photobucket.com, register and start an account it's free, then you can link the img link it gives you back to here and it works great.

10. WALLY89

WALLY89 Astrea Snail

11. WALLY89

WALLY89 Astrea Snail

12. WALLY89

WALLY89 Astrea Snail

theres some pics if you guys want more let me know! and about the fish issue. i heard your supposed to add tangs at the same time? but what do you suggest i do? i mean there nice and healthy

1 person likes this.