wal-mart lights? off the shelf 6500k?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by bawest, Feb 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

Okay, I was at wal-mart and I wanted to get a grow light for my mangrove. I came across the daylight bulbs for the standard incadenscent lights that is 6500K from GE "daylight" The bulb I bought was the equivalent of a 100W bulb and I'm going to put 2 of these on my sump.

But I got to thinking. These 2 bulbs only cost 7 bucks and that's 200 watts of 6500k. Why can't I use thes on the main tank? For instance here's a light that was on ebay.

85 Watt CFL Grow Light 6500K Daylight 4200 Lumens NIB

eBay: 85 Watt CFL Grow Light 6500K Daylight 4200 Lumens NIB (item 330084702681 end time Feb-10-07 13:01:36 PST)

t5 VHO's are about 10000 lumens for 2 4ft bulbs.... If I buy 4 of these regular screw in lights from ebay, wouldn't it be the same?

The actual ones that I bought were the equivalent of 100 watts or 1600 lumens, so it would take 6 bulbs to be the equivalent.

I realize that I would still need some actintic, but can't I use the cheapo ballasts and fixtures for a regular 48" florescent tube for that?

I'm sure there is a reason not to use thes bulbs, but I'm just curious because these lights really seem pretty bright and clear, cheap and readily available..... actually, wal-mart had a different brand that was on clearance, but there was a whole rack of them that should come down in price next week.

Check out these lights.
    eBay: 3 / 100W Hydroponics Grow Clone Light T5 , lite 6500k (item 190078855475 end time Feb-06-07 19:39:00 PST)

(I know it is probably a stupid question, but I had to ask.)

2. Click Here!

3. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I have a walmart "daylight" 6500k t8 over my tank and my zoo's love it.

4. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

I was talking about the screw-in / twisted shape lights that they sale for incadenscent fixtures.

5. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I wouldent use then beacause they dont spread the light very well. But for 17 bucks you can get a t12 2 bulb fixture and 2 6500k No 40watt bulbs. Get another ballast to overdrive them and their you go.

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Funny, I bought some super cheap compact florescent shop lights from Menard's a couple months ago for the macro in my sump. The macro seems to accept almost anything. They were manager's specials and very bright and almost have a blue tint. I ass-u-med they had a pretty high K. At the price I bought 1/2 dozen figuring I was set for years. Then my large PC over the propagation section fried out a bulb and I thought I would move 2 of the shop lights over to it till I got a replacement bulb as they put out 110 each. Well the zoas, sps and clams love them. I added a 3rd just because I have them and everything is thriving. Go figure...