Vote my Mantis Home

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by reefmonkey, May 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What Mantis would be good for Reefmonkey

Poll closed May 23, 2010.
  1. G. Viridis (Lime Green Mantis)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. O. Havanensis

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. G. Smithii (Purple Spot)

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  4. G. Ternatensis

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

N. wennerae is easy to get. Probably the easiest of all species actually. tampabaysaltwater.com has them all the time for $50 if all else fails, although you should be able to find one locally they are common hitch hikers from florida live rock.

If you like r. kommai there is a similar looking species in florida Pseudosquilla oculata (at least that was the name in 1969) that has very big false eye spots. Might be able to convince one of your collector friends in the keys to get one. ;) I'm not sure how well they fair in aquariums, they get to around 5"

Pseudosquillisma oculata - a small mantis shrimp with a big (false) eye on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks for the info! Is wennerae really that easy? I really would like to have something not many if any have but am getting anxious. His new digs are ready. I was talking to Cramer and he was saying that he hasn't seen but a few of any kind of shrimp this year cuz they took a very hard hit when that cold weather rolled thru the Keys in Jan.

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

N. Wennerae are super simple to get. If a mantis hitch hikes on Florida LR, it's probably and N. Wennerae. I would know, I've had 2 of them, and they both came from the same LFS :lol:

But we also have a Smithii from Stomatopod.com. I love him too. To be honest my Wennerae is more active, but my Smithii has way more personality. But it's always hit or miss on what type of mantis you get as far as shy or active goes. My first N. wennerea was pretty shy

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

How's that going, reefmonkey? Made a pick yet?

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah a Wennerae LOL. Gave up looking for the mantis on my list. Well the upper part anyway. It's a long story

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Glad to know you're a dude with a backup plan ;)
    I googled "Wennerae" and looks like a cool looking mantis too! Take pictures when you get it.

- Mag.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks Mag. Yeah I had a backup but that seems to be a joke as well. Now I'm seriously stuck. The vendor I ordered from doesn't have the usual check out method. Instead you fill out a form with all your info and they are supposed to call you and confirm before they charge the card. So far no call. No response to voicemail or email either.

** this came to me after I posted...
    At this rate a freakin Mantis is going to evolve from bacteria in my tank before I actually make a purchase! LOL

10. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

I have a Wennerae... I am very happy with him. Idk how I just now found this thread Monkey... but I guareentee you will be happy with just about any mantis you get! They are frickin awesome!... happy hunting, oh BTW it might be worth posting a "looking for mantis" thread.... I got mine from a fellow reefer as a hitchhiker (for free).... good luck bro! I'll be here for the adventure!

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

LOL thanks. Don't suscribe to this thread. It'll die once the mantis is FINALLY home. Man I really wish I had never filled out that order form. The company is reputable and answered my 'instock' email the same day. So wtf? I really don't know what the hold up is.

12. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

Ts all good, I'm not worried bout bein subd to a dead thread.... maybe we can turn it into the mantis chatroom lol! Sorry to hear about your trouble getting a mantis bud... it'll happen though! And your gonna get a good one, I can feel it lol...