Vortech vs koralia

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by gabbyr189, Sep 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Right now I am exclusively using koralias on my 90g. Overall, I am pretty impressed with them. They are silent. My only issue is that one of them only goes backwards. I personally don't have a problem with that because I strategically placed it so I get some flow behind my rocks.

Only problem with them is that they are bulky looking and there are wires all over the place (I have four of them in my DT).

I am thinking of upgrading to Vortechs. My only concern is that I have heard they can be loud. Any recommendations? Are they worth it for the price?

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Have you tried plugging the Koralia in and out a few times? Also turning the plug around I think. If I remeber correctly, the plugs are not polar- as in one prong slightly larger than the other.

I'm using Koralia's and also the MarineTech MaxiJets, with the Power fan attachment instead of a PH. They are also silent, and move WAY more waer than my Koralias.

Sorry, dont know about Vortech.

Really, try plugged and unplugged several times, it will go forward.

5. gabbyr189

If you read my post, I said my major concern was noise. The thread you referenced barely talks noise. It mostly heat and some other aspects. Since the noise to one person may not be the same for another (i.e. their skimmer may be loud and masking the noise), I wanted to hear different opinions of the noise level so that I can make my decision. There was no need for sarcasm.

6. gabbyr189

Lol yeah I have tried this. It used to fix itself, but now it strictly goes backwards. I cleaned it recently too. I could probably take it apart and fix it somehow, but I do like that it is giving me more flow behind my rocks.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

This is preety cool, that the backwards flow actually works well in your tank!

I have caught mine going backwards a few times, and the plug thing always worked- go figure.
    I rarely if ever unplug mine anymore, I grab it and take a toothbrush to the slots every few weeks while it's running.

8. Click Here!

9. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Your best bet would be to find a local reefer or Lfs with them set up. That is the only way you will truely know if it is loud for you. If willing ask them to put it on all the different modes and have it cranked up to 100 percent and then down then up. It'll give you a good idea how it will be on your tank. My Lfs has two mp40 on a tank just for sales reasons, when at 100 percent they are noisy to me but so is an overflow and so forth. Check on the sale section of here I saw people selling them because of noise maybe they will give you more insight.

10. gabbyr189

Yeah unplug them pretty often. I unplug them everytime I do a wc (weekly). I also have been working on my LEDs. They are mounted in my canopy. Everytime I take the canopy on and off I have to unplug them to pull the wires through. Its very annoying lol.

Good plan. I will do just that. I know one LFS that has them on display on a running tank.

11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Personally Ive seen Divers Den's display tanks and the vortechs ran silent. I honestly have never heard of an issue with them being loud or clicking.

I prefer my Koralias just cause well its cheaper. lol

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I have seen the Vortecs and was less than impressed. They were noisy, had already been replaced under warranty and the faceplate or buttons had fallen off the controller. Great idea but it needs furtehr refining.

As for the Koralia running backwards, if it is an Evolutions series they are guaranteed so contact Hydor customer service via email and you will receive new replacement parts in a matter of days free of charge. They should not run backwards and plugging and unplugging makes no difference if the front cage is broken of the rubber bump stop is missing. I ran two Evo 1400's for over 2.5 years with over 1.3 millino starts and stops each every 30 seconds on a RKL and just replaced them this month. The impellers are starting to wear down through normal usage in a DSB tank. no fault of theirs so I chose to replace them. At $32.99 each on sale from Big Al's I can buy a lot of Evo's compared to one Vortec plus I already had the RKL for all the control I need.