VorTech - Really Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by NaClCrocodile, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Worth it or not?

1. Worth every penny!

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Just an unnecessary expense

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

what size tank you have?

2. Click Here!

3. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

What about the noise level. That was my main concern was the noise, some people complain that they're noisy in the reviews.

I never hear my koralias, dead silent. But if they didnt have any noise issues i'd go for them but i think koralias are quieter in comparison.

4. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

I think the noise generated would be drowned out by fans if you have them, skimmer, or even the return pump. I don't think they're silent but the one running @ my LFS has never caused me to look twice.

They'll be going on a 75 if you were asking me, i don't know about bama's tank.

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I am running 2 vortech's on my tank and I have no qualms about recommending them to anyone. As far as explaining their flow goes I guess a wall of water would be the best way, mine are silent unless they are at full speed then you can hear a little hum if you are standing close ,1-2' away.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm noticing a trend here. Anyone who has one swears by it, but anyone who doesn't thinks they are a waste of money. I think the key to liking them is to stick your hand in a tank with one running.

I attached a picture to try and explain how the wall of water feels in tank. It truly is a wall of water. The undertow zone is more of a buffer zone about 2" think all along any surface in the tank. everything other than that buffer zone is a wall of water. Add to that the random modes and you have a wall and buffer zone that is in a constant state of fluctuation.

I know the angle of output in the attachment may look absurd, but if you look at the surface water above a Vortec there's turbulence almost directly above the front edge of it.

Another selling point to them is the fact that the pump is not actually in the water and therefore doesn't add heat.

As for aesthetics I'm with everyone else. In a nano tank the tiny footprint is priceless. I have over 70x turnover in my DT and to the untrained eye there's no way to tell how I manage to make 2" waves. In a larger tank though the size difference really doesn't stand out to me. With a six foot long tank does it really matter if you pump is 3" long or 6" long?

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  7. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

+1 well said

8. Click Here!

9. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

Yeah, I noticed the trend but couldn't quite articulate it. Glad you did for me. A picture is worth 1000 words as well. Needless to say, I'll have one it's only a matter of time.

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

This is really making me think about my big purchase on coral tomorrow.. Maybe just maybe wink wink, I could throw down some muulah for a MP20 this weekend.. I really liked MikeJrice's diagram..

11. Dobrzemetal

Dobrzemetal Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yo man, did you talk to Mike, the big dude with the beard? He was telling me all that stuff too, I am also on the fence thinking about getting one. All i know is the ones at the store with the vortecs on them look pretty good, mabye when student loans come in....:)...

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Good idea. Get the MP20 and a couple really nice corals to grow in it's flow.