VorTech - Really Worth the Price?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by NaClCrocodile, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Worth it or not?

1. Worth every penny!

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Just an unnecessary expense

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If I had the money I would get one if it's a tank where it is very visible. I have a Koralia magnum 6 hidden next to my overflow... it's hard to see and it pushes 2200GPH drawing only 10 watts. I've heard some people say they're huge and the K8 may very well be but the K6 isn't much bigger than my K4s.
    I'm tossing around the idea of a rimless tank and may look into vortech for that.
    They're on sale for nearly half what I paid:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Ko...m_Powerheads-Hydor_USA-HD00621-FIPHFF-vi.html
    Also can be used on wavemaker with no noise.

2. Click Here!

3. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i cant really wrap my head around the "wall of water" idea. my thought that any power head has to have an intake (around the sides) and an exhaust (the front). there has to be "some" type of stream which i doubt could equal a cross section of the tank.

also a previous post made a comment on lack of electricty leaking into the tank. i am guessing the the magnets required to propel such a strong power head generate more voltage leak then a cord in the water.

take a look at this its pretty cool

YouTube - VorTech Pump Wave Harmonics

i reallly want one (2 actually)

4. wfb2270

korallia dc??? is that the same as the korallia pro??? i saw one in a "not so local" fish store a couple weeks ago, but didnt look at much more then the fancy packaging.

not to highjack a thread, but how does an AC powerhead know which way to spin???
    (have had this stuff jammed down my throat for the last week, in hybrid school for toyota, bored in a hotel room)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

What I mean by that is that it's much more diffused than other powerheads. where a Koralia's waterflow is:
    =
    =
    =
    the VorTech's is:
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    or something to that effect. That's how it was explained to me, I'm not sure if I'm relaying it very well. I don't litterally mean a wall of water, I mean that there is more flow above, below and to both sides of the powerhead than there would be on a Koralia.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It almost does, it creates a strong under tow in order to return the water to the PH, but In my 55 the flow from about 3/4 down and side to side is how broad the flow is. IMO, it's totally worth it and really worth it when you can get 2.

7. wfb2270

makes sense

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Im bout to make an upgrade to the hydor wavemaker 4 (I cant wait). I really like this wavemaker. Havent seen em in person but they look like and everything heard bout em. they are worth every penny.

for two controllabe k4s and the wavemaker 4 its just a little more than the mp40. The controller from hydor has lots of nice features that vortech provides.

I didnt vote. But if there was another option to be : "id choose a different powerhead". I would have chosen that.

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Ok, this makes sense.. I have been wanting one for some time now, but missed the opprotunity when tbaquatics had their special. I wish I could find a MP20 for about $250 and I would jump on it today.

11. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

The problem I see in the Hydor one is that I don't want more equipment in my tank for a higher price. Not unless I could create a whirlpool for my kraken to live in... hmm

I think they should have another sale :D

12. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I'm planning on using an MP20 when I build my 40g breeder sometime in the future. In order to actually match the flow of a vortech, you would need a few more koralia's and in the "borderline nano" scheme of things...anything larger than a K2 is kinda bulky (obviously doesn't matter for a 75g..but still). The vortech's do have the aesthetics going for it.