vortech mp40 placement

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by wfb2270, Apr 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Speaking of the devil, I actually came home from work today and my MP40 on my new tank had separated somehow. It's been unmoved and untouched for months now and suddenly decided to detach. It's possible a snail somehow decided to jam itself into the propeller or something but I have no idea for sure.

Definitely a good idea, IMO. :D

2. Click Here!

3. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

got the pump today ;D. i have it on the "small" wall next to the overflow. i cant believe how much water it moves. only dead spot i think is going to be in the far corner. but thats not to bad. im gonna mess with my return nozzle to gid rid of it. worst case ill put on of the koralia's back in. i have it zipped tied on the light fixture for now.

it did come with extra stand off's. but zip ties are easier to remove.

manual says to put it 4-8 inches below surface (kinda a broad range) but says to put it as high up as possible without it forming a vertex on the surface. i have it about 5 inches down.

so far so good. thanks for the help

4. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

Very cool, I'm definitely interested to hear how much you like it.. might have to get one for my 90 as well.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Sounds like you have it figured out, they are impressive pumps, hope you like it!

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ya, rotate the shield to the top of the pump to help eliminate vortex. You know the solid piece in the wet side pump cover. Mine is pretty high up no problem.

Lot of flow. Too much for some of my LPS. I run my returns down the back glass,and I also have a K3 pointed to the back glass. The MP40 provides plenty of flow for my corals at 75% in reef crest and the others put flow through my rocks.

7. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

just got done pointing my returns against the back glass. think its gonna work well. ill have to wait and see what happens to that corner. the left side of my tank is viewable, so keeping pumps off of it, looks much better