Vortech MP10w question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mabbus, Jan 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

My current set-up is a 55g with 20g sump. I have just added two Vortech MP 10's to the system. My neighbor is about to leave the country and he has a 125g 48x24x30, and he is offering to sell it to me.

The question is that the Vortech's in my current (excuse the pun) system work wonderfully, the main difference is in the height and about 9" in depth and the 12" in height, but width is the same.

If I kept the live rock to the same height and and put the pumps lower in the tank, would I be able to get away with using the two I have?

I can't really afford to fork out for MP40'ss having just bought the two MP10's. But if I can get away with it, I can always add a third MP10 to the back of the tank at a later date?

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

An MP10 will hold up to 3/8" glass - what is the 125? they are weak for the new application but acceptable. You could consider trying to go with a much more affordable Hydor (in addition to the MP10s) or the like if you need more movement until you can afford the exact set up you desire.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  4. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

Thanks for the reply, I don't know the thickness of the glass off hand I will have to go measure. I do have two Hydor Koralia Evolution 750's that are only a few months old. So would you suggest putting the Hydors above the Vortechs, or put the two Vortechs on the back and the two hydors on the side?

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I would if they will work with the new tank thickness.

I like the Vortechs to be set deep, they move a lot of water - love um. Once you set the Vortechs than you can fiddle around with placement of the Hydor's to see what works best with your set up (rock/coral placement etc.)

6. mabbus

mabbus Bristle Worm

Thanks again

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I agree, if they hold, you can always add another pump if needed latter.

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I dont think you will be able to. my 120 was 1/2" glass and i believe mp10 can only be used on up to 3/8".

10. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Thatgrimguy has an MP10 on his 210 gallon. He said it has always held. I have been finding 210's to be 1/2" thick everywhere I have asked.

11. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Holding is one thing. It is the magnetic drive that powers these vortech's so if the glass is too thick, yes it may hold the maget, But you are most likely doing damage to the motor by having not enough power driving it. The farther the two magnets are in this case will make your pumps weaker.