Vortech MP-XX Foam gaurds?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Kevin_E, May 18, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How well do these function at preventing algae etc. from growing on, in and around the inlet of the powerhead? I just did a thorough cleaning, but it is a real PITA. I'm hoping that the covers will prevent my issues and allow for easier cleaning.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not sure about the guards but I just soak the wet side in vinegar.Cleans it very well with little to no scrubbing.

Reefbuilder likes this.
  4. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I agree - white vinegar and RO water. I do however use the foam when I have a sea hare... Helps keep it from... well... you know... Chop chop

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I had foam covers on a jaebo for a while. Almost had to clean the foam every day. Slows down output too. A nitrate trap. I would use one if I had a nem or as reefbuilder says for sea hares.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would honestly rather clean them than do ht I had to do this weekend. See, I don't have MPs, I am using Koralias. With how my wire management is, each Koralia is wired inside a wire race track with bunches of wires. Removing the Korallias is a real PITA. I broke 1' frag off my sunset milli removing them lol. The algae on them gets pretty ridiculous.

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It may delay times between cleaning the pump. Keep me updated if you decide to try it.