Vodka dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Piano10, Aug 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

This is something relatively new to me but I came across an article while reading on diatoms.

Does anyone use this method and how do you dose the vodka?

2. Click Here!

3. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

I have dosed vinegar in that past. You can use either or sugar, but I've read that using vinegar has a lower risk of cyano than other forms of carbon.

Keep a close eye on your skimmer, is going to need adjusting as you will start pulling a lot more out. Its best if you have a properly or over sized skimmer.

There are several standard charts to use to determine how much to use. I used a BRS peristaltic pump to dose it controlled by my apex.

zesty likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Vodka or any other carbon dosing is tricky, and it can have it's own issues such as cyanobacteria growth. I would prefer bio-pellets over carbon dosing.

5. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

So using vodka is like using carbon?

Well I'm already using chemipure blue and still fighting a bloom.
    Thought by this point the diatoms would die off but no, its worse.

6. Corailline

It's carbon as in organic carbons, sugars...You're feeding the bacteria in your tank and they in turn assist in exporting and breaking down phosphates and nitrates but at different rates. This is why you need an efficient skimmer.

I am not a huge fan of this method, you need a certain level of nitrates and phosphates to keep corals healthy or they pale and look starved. You obviously dial it in to avoid starving your corals but IME it's unpredictable.

http://melevsreef.com/node/184
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

In the case with sps you need to maintain a lower alk level, should not strive for values in the 9-10 dkh or your asking for trouble.

I expect some algae even in an sps dominated systems. Most very successful sps tanks do have a certain degree of marine algae. As long as it's not unsightly or taking over then it becomes more of the hobbyist pet peeve, some hobbyist are encouraged to believe a tank with algae is a failure. As long as you do not have unwanted growth of GHA or Cyanobacteria you can still run a extremely nice sps or other stony coral system.

AnotherMike, Piano10 and Swisswiss like this.
  7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

interesting Cheryl, what vlaues do you keep? care to share some numbers?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

My nitrates usually hover 10-20 for a couple days after a big feeding of frozen, phosphates have been undetectable using the Hanna Ultra low phos tester.

But I have some algae, not by desire it hitch-hiked in, but it's kind of attractive, I have about 4 different marine algae types.

I try to keep my alk around 8 but it wanders up to 9 sometimes, 8 is really my target value though.

It's my experience that if you're using a good water source, your cuc is made up of the right type of inverts, you use phosban or guard, skimmer and do not over feed you should be able to avoid unwanted algae blooms and cyanobacteria (with enough flow).

10. Swisswiss

also two very good links

11. Swisswiss

wow 10-20? i thought you were going to say between 5 and 10 tops

12. Corailline

That is my top value after a heavy feeding which I do once every 1.5 weeks, it's to just give everybody a nice meal. The rest of the time it's a tiny pinch of flake or pellets for the clown and the domino and fire shrimp. My nitrates drop way down a couple days after feeding. I use the zeo products to feed my sps and other corals daily.

As a return to topic, it would seem that many hobbyist now use Vinegar rather than vodka and see better results. I have even heard of hobbyist using milk, something I would never try.

zesty likes this.