Vinegar in Kalk mix...

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Birdlady, Dec 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Vinegar (acetic acid) neutralizes your kalk mix a bit, giving you a lower pH. At lower pH, bicarbonate does not convert as readily into carbonate. This is good, since the calcium in your water binds to free carbonate and precipitates out as white solid. The solid form is useless to you.

However, the benefits of avoiding this solid form in your dripper are limited. No matter how much calcium you dissolve in your dripper, the same pH effects will apply in your tank. This means that when your drips hits the tank water, they can still form precipitate if your kalk mix is too concentrated or if your tank water is too hard, or if your pH is much higher than it should be.

So the addition of acetic acid provides a marginal improvement over straight limewater since it lets you get more calcium out of your kalkwasser than you normally would. The benefit you gain is simply more calcium added to your tank per gram of kalk added to your doser, and has less to do with the total amount of calcium you are giving your tank.

A less economical solution that would accomplish the same effect would simply be to get a larger resevoir and drip faster, but this might outpace your evaporation rate.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks VancouverReef! Welcome! You have so eloquently stated my issue. I was dripping more Kalk than I was getting evap. Plus, my pH would not stay as high as I wanted. I needed a smidge more concentration in my mix, and since my pH was on the low side, no ill effects of precipitation.

I experimented the last 2 days with 10 ml of vinegar in 1000 ml of Kalk....and bang! pH is staying steady at 8.22 which is what I was shooting for . I have not tested the CA yet. will do that tomorrow.

Thanks again for putting it into terms I can understand ;D

4. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the correction mmkay!

Sorry BL....I should have said lowered the pH! My mistake..... :) ;) :p

Acid lowers the pH level while alkaline raises it. Good you were able to get your pH up. Mine is still @8.2. ;)

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Also

" Vinegar - extending Kalkwasser use

It is possible to add small amounts of vinegar to the Kalkwasser solution to extend its capabilities. The vinegar works in two ways:

Provides a carbon source to bacteria in the tank which will produce carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is important for the conversion of the hydroxide to carbonate/bicarbonate.
    Lowers the pH of the solution so that slightly more calcium hydroxide can be dissolved. "

from here

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/kalkwasser.html

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks for that link John! It was very informative! Kewl! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

7. manojkoushik

manojkoushik Plankton

Hey guys, my pH is already 8.4 and don't want it going up anymore. So if I use vinegar to dissolve the kalk before adding it to the RO top off water, can I use a conservative amount of kalk (I am thinking 40 ml of vinegar + 1.5 tsps of kalk for every gallon of RO top off water) so that the pH does not go up or down?

Thanks,
    Manoj

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

This tread is like 5 yrs old ): But at 8.4 thats fine nothing to worry about really now how do you test the Ph ? a meter or a liquid test kit ? and at what time of day do you test the Ph ?