Vinegar for cleaning equipment?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by missionsix, Mar 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Any ideas on dilution and type of vinegar for cleaning pumps and powerheads?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I use undiluted white vinegar. Once you're done cleaning your equipment, you can put the vinegar that you used back into the bottle and reuse whenever you need to. Just make sure that you mark the vinegar bottle "For Aquarium Only" so that nobody uses it for anything but :)

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I don't' know, they sell all kinds of flavored vinegar, let see, raspberry, Blueberry, basil, Cajun spicy, Saltwater fish.......LOL

yeah it does a real nice job of removing any lime deposits and a pretty good job of removing Coraline algae, you just have to scrub a little.

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

What about hair algae? I want to DESTROY it!! :devil2:

6. darren_sfsu

darren_sfsu Astrea Snail

self-cleaning pumping a vinegar mixture?

i have the same question: I am to begin a regiment of adding kalkwasser, and have read over time (how much?) corrosion to pumps is inevitable. Unfortunately I have a large, immobile, commercial system, and dismantling my pumps is impossible.

I can however isolate each pump, and run a vinegar mixture through them - will this work? and how often should i run this?

thanks darren

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You can and most likely should just use it full strength, just put it in to a small bucket or container and drop the pump or what ever into it. I would actually pull it apart and soak it then soak it in a bucket of fresh water to clean it off. Never heard of anything getting hurt by it. My wife uses it to clean our coffee pot, she just dumps it into the reservoir and "brews" a pot of vinegar. Stinks like crap, but cleans off any mineral deposits.

8. Click Here!

9. darren_sfsu

darren_sfsu Astrea Snail

How often do pumps and power heads need to be cleaned from the use of kalkwasser?? Weeks or Months?

Thanks, Darren