[Video] montipora eating nudi treatment

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Dingo, Jul 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

We've had red bugs which are easy enough to treat but we've thankfully never had the acro eating flatworms. Like you, we now only get corals from a trusted source. That, however, doesn't mean that we don't still quarantine them to keep an eye on them for a bit before putting them into our tanks. The monti nudibranchs are a special kind of pest though. Nothing short of kryptonite seems to kill the dang eggs!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I quarantine everything.....even things I get from my own shop. Pretty much the only thing I don't QT are snails, crabs, and shrimp. If I had clams still, I would QT the snails as well because of the hitchhiker pyramidellid snails.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Update: My infected montipora digitata is now void of all nudibranches and eggs and has been so for four days. tissue is slowly returning
    My infected monti cap is showing no additional loss of tissue, however I pulled one adult nudi off last night. There were also a few (3) egg clusters hidden underneath and in corners which I also removed.

The best tool i have found for removing both the eggs and nudis is a toothpick

5. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Well Dingo, this is a great thread.....& kinda FREAKY!!! I've been so lucky after so many years!!

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Happened to run into this thread again so BUMP. (Great job Trent!!!)

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

That's sucks buddy... What a long process.. Question, would Coral RX of killed them?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It would kill the adults and leave the eggs. If you have more than one monti, you cannot return the coral to the tank. It will have to be in QT until all eggs are removed/dead. It's a VERY LONG process to eradicate them in your display tank.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

OMG what a process!! :eek: Do they only attack monti or will they go after other corals?

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Most nudibranch's are species-specific. For example, Berghia eat aiptasia...that's it. Once the aiptasia are gone, they starve. There are nudibranch's that eat acros, there are nudi's that eat sponge, there are nudibranch's that eat Montipora spp. Once the Monti's are gone, they will EVENTUALLY starve. If you allow the display tank to remain fallow long enough and you don't put another Monti in it, the eggs that hatch won't be successful because there won't be any Montipora to eat. Then, and only then, can you put your other Montipora in there. All of the other species of coral will be fine.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Excellent and informative Trent, as always. Was at the LFS a couple weeks ago and saw a couple very similar nudi's wondering their frag tank, sent a chill down my spine.