[Video] montipora eating nudi treatment

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Dingo, Jul 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Here is an informative video on how to treat for monti eating nudibranches. Some more effective, safer, and easier treatments would include buying any type of wrasse that consumes these nudis and other pests (coris wrasses, sixlines, and a few other ones with slender bodies and pointy lips)

Note: the video is up but the HD version is still buffering. in the low quality version it is hard to see the nudibranches but in the HD one they are visible.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Very informative! thanks! Good luck with the fight!

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Some photos from my iphone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ew! Nasty buggers.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The "infected", or eaten part of the monti is the larger white ares, right?

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yes the white areas are what have been munched upon by the nudis. thankfully i caught these quick because im so meticulous about my corals, however they can totally destroy a large colony in a week!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I am You Tube blind at work so I have no idea what you're using to kill them? :( How are you dealing with their eggs?

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

one gallon tank water to 30 drops lugols solution (but i feel that i will up it to 40 since 30 is not that effective). Dip for ten minutes, remove and place into a gallon of only tank water to let any additional lugols solution dilute out. Take this time to use tweesers or a tooth pick to dispatch any surviving adults/juveniles. To eradicate the eggs, you will have to use a very bright light and possibly a magnifying glass. They are very small egg sacks (about the size of copepods) and they must be scraped off with a fine toothbrush or else a toothpick.
    Incubation period for the eggs is 2-3 days so repeated dips will be necessary

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Great video,
    Thank God I have any of those crepy crawlers in my tank :jester:

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I lost an entire tank of montis to those damnable pests that came in on one little frag of superman monti that I picked up from a local club member. I know of at least one LFS near me that was knowingly selling montis that were infested with them.

If you don't quarantine your corals, it's only a matter of time before you get them (or an equally nasty pest) too :(