VIDEO added New fish treading water. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by kcbrad, Feb 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ugh. Is there anything I can do? I've read bacteria, parasites, etc. can cause this. Is it something that will work itself out?

:(

2. Click Here!

3. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

There could be a number of factors that's causing your fish to be treading water. Dosing your food with garlic may help with appetite. It's already stressed from moving, so any more stress from moving or anything else could be detrimental. I would just make sure all the parameters are good and stable and try to lessen the stress as much as possible. An article about Swimming Bladder Disease suggests feeding the fish peas, but apparently they're talking about freshwater fishes (could work for saltwater - worth a try?).

Here's the site:
    Aquarium FD - Swim Bladder Disease - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment

Another article suggests dietary focus.

Here's the article:
    Swim-bladder Disease

Anyway, hope your fish gets better soon!

1 person likes this.
  4. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

It is usually caused by decompression. They can be very deep when they are caught and if not properly decompressed, it can cause problems. Not much you can do I'm afraid. Here is an article that explains it.

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.o...le/123456789/6130/SPUMS_V7N1_4.pdf?sequence=1

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Would this have shown itself at the store? Or do you think the stress of shipping caused this to come about?

I'm wondering if they sent me a fish that was obviously doing this....

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Its worth a shot letting them know?

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I wrote them an email. Should hear back by tomorrow. If not, I'll call.

I love her. I'm sad :( I want her to live.

8. Click Here!

9. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Sorry to hear this Kacey. Did you get her from DD?

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yep. Usually their fish are excellent! I got an angel a few months ago for my 40 gallon and she is super healthy.

11. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I'm assuming it probably happened due to shipping stress. I recieved a 3/4" tail spot blenny from them a couple weeks ago. They had that thing bagged in a bag big enough for a 3 foot eel. So I'd think it was shipping, they will take care of you.

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I get how SB problems can arise from decompression. Like you, I would think this would be apparent from the get-go. Don't see how shipping could cause problems with SB (not an expert here, just don't see how).

I often go on offshore fishing trips. I've seen many folks take a needle and pop SB on fish that came up from deep that were being thrown back. They act like this is good for the fish and will recover. :)confused: makes sense to me, but my sense isn't necessarily great :confused:)

I have never done this and am not sure if it's something to do on smaller hobby fish or not... but might be worth researching (though me posting this might bring up enough responses on it in its own right!).

Seems out of character for DD to ship something they know has a problem but I don't hold anything past business...