VHO VS. COMPACT

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Midnight_Madman, Jan 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I need some opinions on lighting. should I convert my current reg. output florescents into VHO with an icecap ballast?, or buy a compact flor. setup that is close to the same watts. Is it true that VHO watts put out WAY more light than Compact watts?

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have VHO. Reasons why I got that instead of PC are

VHO's run the whole length of the tank....PC's are shorter, and need to be mounted on both sides. I felt there was a better distribution of light this way.

VHO's seemed simpler to install, no clips, plus I have heard of people breaking the bulbs trying to clip them in (don't know how true or not)

Know someone with both at a fish retailer and said their quarantine tanks with VHO seemed to recover quicker from shipping than those with PC's (again, anecdotal, don't know how true it is)

Ease of fitting in my existing hood ;D

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

There is also some way to overdrive NO bulbs with a vho ballast or something....can someone who knows about that clarify please!
    That is supposed to be pretty killer as well :D

6. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

The overdrive method is simply attaining a better ballast....if you have room for VHO's then i would go with them if you are using the dimmer controller....if not PC's put out the same amount of light in less space...more space for more light..no dimming feature and as BL said it wont cover the same area unless staggered or you just buy more. But if you find yourself getting books...checking replies to your posts or replies as soon as you get free time....save money and get a MH/pc combo! Remember this post! Even if you juxt want somne softies and shrooms.....this is an addictive hobby. "The sucessfull plan longterm". I know that sounds cocky but hey.....i dont know anyone that is experienced and could of saved by planning more.

7. Midnight_Madman

But would 440 watts of VHO be just as good or better then what your recomending> MH/PC ???

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

MH is the best you can offer your reef tank...IMO!

I have MH plus 2 VHO actinics :D

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=Midnight Madman link=board=lighting;num=1104716784;start=0#5 date=01/02/05 at 21:16:11]But would 440 watts of VHO be just as good or better then what your recomending> MH/PC ???
    [/quote]

Nope......you cant aqquire the same "intensity" with vhos....MH is the closest you can get to the sun from your house.....THink about this.....440 watts of VHO's.....X's 2 a year......how much are you spending on bulbs alone? I belive 250 watts of HQI MH lighting and 100 in actginics would give unparraleled growth compared to 440 of just VHOS if you leave both bulbs in for 11 months. VHO's, pc's and any other compitition dont cut it in the experiences our store (and the customers we've served) as far as wattage and price. Our store used to have VHOs on the reef.....the amount of money they saved was well worth the conversion in annual bulb spending alone.....then you should also consider the masses of wires you would need for 4 VHO's and thier ballasts and switches.....I installed 3 tanks with vho's for a store in concord.....each tank had 6-8 VHO's and dimmers on every two bulbs with seperate timers and two ballasts per tank......i wanted to cry half way through. I could of hooked up an HQI, and 2 actinics (VHO or PC)! I like VHOS...but for long term reef keeping...MH with pcs or VHOS is necessary......for one year it would cost about $300 for 440 watts of VHO.....and for the less in bulb you could have 4 65 watt PC's (or VHO's) and a 250 watt HQI MH.....or 2 150 watt HQI's and 2 96 watt PC's....in the end it is up to personal preference as you can grow almost any corals under most lights....you just need enough of em in a certain amount of space. For me I like less wires...less bulb changing....and less maint. I also like the look of the light from MH's, especially HQI's. Im sure you will find a Lighting system that fits yuor needs and budget....seeing them set up nicely in person and researching them is the best way to help you decide on what you want and or need.

11. Midnight_Madman

Can a 250 watt metal halide be mounted in a wooden canapy with normal output florecents?

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

There's no reason why you couldn't do that. As long as you have the space to put them in and take away the heat generated if necessary to keep your tank below 82.