Very Unique Books...

Discussion in 'Books & Magazines' started by omard, Oct 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

When my father retired from the US Navy, a couple of great books followed him home, which he has since passed on to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Poisonous and Venomous Marine Animals"
    By Bruce W. Halstead, MD (Commander Medical Corps)

A two volume medical set published by the US Govt, for use by the Armed Forces to consolidate information on poisonous and venomous Marine Animals, their source, identification, toxicology, effects, and treatments.

Foreword: "A complete survey of a broad field of science dating back to the dawn of history is rarely attempted in this day, but the present work is an example of such a study..."

"The primary purpose of this monograph is to provide a systematic organized source of technical data on marine biotoxicology covering the total world literature from antiquity to modern times..."

"Covers Identification, nomenclature, geographical distribution, mechanisms of intoxication and biology of the different organisms. The clinical characteristics, pathology, treatment, and prevention have been dealt with at length for the benefit of physicians and first aid workers..."

[​IMG]

Volume One - "Invertebrates"

[​IMG]

Published by the United States Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1965. 994 pages.

Volume II: "Vertebrates"

[​IMG]

Published by the United States Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1967. 1070 pages.

Sample Pages:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----

I have great doubts that even a small portion of the knowledge contained in these books is available to most hospitals today - :confused:

So if you even think you have been stung, bitten or possibly ingested something from a poisonous marine animal...give me a quick PM and I will look up characteristics and possible treatment for you.

I have seen copies of these books on Ebay now and then. Also at alibris.com (used books)...

An interesting, if not beneficial, pair of books. ;D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I dont know what the statute of limitations is on that, but ya might not wanna show them off, hahaha.

Great books though!

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:laughy:

Am certain the US Navy has more to worry about then running down where these two books went. Probably few copies were printed. My set is numbered "35"---

As I recall my father's last duty assignment was on the "Hope" (sister ship to the "Haven") hospital ships that were mothballed/scrapped years ago. Probably turned into razor blades by the Japanese. ;D